Queen Introduction query

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildwood

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

I'm hoping that one or more of you can give me some advice please.

Approximately two weeks ago I found two unsealed QCs containing royal jelly together with some play cups across several frames. I removed the play cups, moved the Queen into a spare nuc, and left the two QCs, I checked again a couple of days later to find that there was only one QC (now sealed).

As there was no sign of the new queen emerging 10 days (yesterday) after I had first seen it sealed, I opened it a little to find a fully formed but dead Queen.

As I could find no other QCs I reintroduced the original Queen into the hive yesterday in a Butlers cage. Checking this evening the Queen is out but I have been unable to find her (which is unusual given that she is clearly marked). There are no eggs anywhere. I am therefore uncertain as to whether she is there or not.

I figured that the easiest way to find out was to introduce a test frame from another hive (which I have done) and check again Wednesday to see if they start building QCs.

My questions are;

Am I expecting too much from the existing Queen to have expected her to have started laying 24 hours after introduction?

With hindsight, should I have done anything differently?

I really appreciate the advice on the site so please feel free to be honest rather than gentle with me

Last edited:
After introducing a Queen it is recommended to leave well alone for at least a week, I recently learnt this the hard way! After a few days I took a peek to check she was out of the cage, as the bees were so quite I went thru the frames to check her- big mistake! I watched in horror as she was promptly balled and killed. Next time I wont go near for at least a week. Hope yours is alright but if she is well marked and you cant find her......

Latest posts

Back