Queen introduction - excitement or aggression

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll just put this one down to experience. Not meant to be.
Just annoying that this is the first mated queen I've produced from a graft and we fail at the last step.
. . .. . Ben
It's been a strange year, I had a 100% success rate with queen intros (both full colonies and nucs) until this year, but as I also, for some daft reason changed my system a wee bit this season it may have been that that scuppered my clean run.

What did you do differently, JBM?
Left the candy cap on too long basically - in the past I've never left it on for more than 24 hours unless the colony is still exceptionally agressive towards her, this year, for various reasons (listening to a lot of chatter being one, time was another) I decided to try something different and it was four or five days before the candy was uncovered.

Went to check on my new queen today. She was left in her cage with her attendants last Thursday. As you can see, she is fine and walking amongst her new subjects!20200805_130838.jpg

... Make sure it is drawn comb and not just foundation otherwise the colony will eat into the cage within a few hours! ...

Do I understand you correctly: are you using only drawn comb with a push-in cage? I thought the idea was to use a comb with emerging brood (with space for her to start laying) - or doesn’t that matter?

I've never tried the dipping in honey trick. Usually introduced queens in cages are mostly ignored - I have never seen the behaviour shown in the video. Thanks for sharing it - and the outcome.

In my limited experience orange bees will accept most queens. Black bees are more picky and aggressive bees difficult
Orange in my area spells a decline in temperament and a stubborn refusal to accept different genetics, I've given up wasting beautiful black queens on them. Crush and unite and save decent queens for bees from better stock.

Latest posts

Back