Queen intro

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Quick one, can someone explain to me why an intruduced mated queen would be at risk if there was still a virgin queen hanging around?

I would have thought the mated queen would kill the other queen once she was released from the cage by the hive bees. Or is it 50/50 who wins?

Cheers

Jez

The bees would see the original virgin as their queen.

The bees would see the original virgin as their queen.

ok, I can see why but, but, but, she is all but ignored by the hive, on the one hand she is left alone until she is mated, yet she it their own?

I assume the virgin must still gives off queen pheremone, as when there is no queen in a hive, there is a hell of a difference in the bees temper so...the virgin queen must therefore, give off the queen pheremone so as far as the bees are concerned they are allready queen right. :cheers2:

It is the virgin which will try and kill the other queen. I think usually, but not always, she wins being presumably a bit faster and with a shorter abdomen can sting her opponent more easily.

I would have thought the mated queen would kill the other queen once she was released from the cage by the hive bees. Or is it 50/50 who wins?

Cheers

Jez

I think that it is 0/100 against intro mated queen.

Latest posts

Back