Queen in super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Hives
Hello

Im fairly new to Bee Keeping.

The Queen has managed to get into the super.

How do I know - I have been carrying out inspections of the brood chamber and noticed lots of brood at all stages. I never thought to to check the supers.

I had a super from this hive the end of last year which I had put on in Spring to feed them. I never took it off and I only ever checked a couple of frame of the super.

Anyway, today I was going to take the super off, put bee pollen on,treat with Apitraz.

I put clearer board on yesterday and today lots of bees still in super. So I went through the super frames and saw capped brood.

What do I do now? Do I just shake frames over the brood box and discard the super frames? I realise I wont be able to use them for honey in future.

Im just a little stuck as to what to do next.

Before you ask, yes I did have a Queen Excluder but must have got through or it wasn't secure.

Hello

Im fairly new to Bee Keeping.

The Queen has managed to get into the super.

How do I know - I have been carrying out inspections of the brood chamber and noticed lots of brood at all stages. I never thought to to check the supers.

I had a super from this hive the end of last year which I had put on in Spring to feed them. I never took it off and I only ever checked a couple of frame of the super.

Anyway, today I was going to take the super off, put bee pollen on,treat with Apitraz.

I put clearer board on yesterday and today lots of bees still in super. So I went through the super frames and saw capped brood.

What do I do now? Do I just shake frames over the brood box and discard the super frames? I realise I wont be able to use them for honey in future.

Im just a little stuck as to what to do next.

Before you ask, yes I did have a Queen Excluder but must have got through or it wasn't secure.
Leave it on without the QX till spring.

So both the brood box and super? I can just feed on top of that?

The super can be used for honey next year as long as brood isn't present when one extracts. Nectar during the forage season is placed in the BB and is moved up.

Ok. So I just leave brood box and super together all winter?

Latest posts

Back