Queen holiday

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just inspected a colony I moved from a nuc to full sized BB last week. There are lots of eggs, but no older brood. The move was carried out in the rain and I actually lifted and moved all 5 frames at once so didnt inspect last week. The inspection before last I've noted lots of brood,eggs seen, not much space but no QCs. This was 27 days ago btw

Could it be that when there wasnt much space the bees were reserving it to store the balsam nectar/honey, but after I moved them and they had drawn out a frame, there was room to start laying again?

Just inspected a colony I moved from a nuc to full sized BB last week. There are lots of eggs, but no older brood. The move was carried out in the rain and I actually lifted and moved all 5 frames at once so didnt inspect last week. The inspection before last I've noted lots of brood,eggs seen, not much space but no QCs. This was 27 days ago btw

Could it be that when there wasnt much space the bees were reserving it to store the balsam nectar/honey, but after I moved them and they had drawn out a frame, there was room to start laying again?
Same here, The shortage of pollen during August is a factor, my bees are bringing in ivy pollen for the last couple of days and Queens have started laying again.

Very often I get a "wtf" moment when inspecting the bees and I'm really not sure what to do. Maybe after more experience, I'll understand whats going on and have an answer for everything!

This is not a definitive answer as I was not there... LOL

Yep could be they were honey bound and with new space to play with they took off again.

Just a guess.

PH

If You have thymol of any type on for varroa control that can stop some queens laying as well

not much space

That was a month ago? I am with Poly Hive on this one.

Depends on forage in your area, but without anything else to go on, it is either no forage, or no space. Here, it would likely not be no food, unless expanding very rapidly.

Regards, RAB

This is not a definitive answer as I was not there... LOL

Yep could be they were honey bound and with new space to play with they took off again.

Just a guess.

PH
I think you are correct. The eggs are in newly draw out comb and the inner 5 combs from the nuc are all full of honey.

Thanks.

honey bound

so what would the panel suggest in such circumstances - moving outer stores out further and adding new foundation/drawn comb in their place (at extremes of brood area) or doing the same but adding new comb in centre of brood area?

I'd be cautious about splitting the brood nest and the prospect of getting any foundation drawn this time of year is close to nill IMO. If I had some drawn comb I might try extending the BN by a frame (between last laid / capped frame and stores and see if they go for it but only one side at a time - may not be enough bees to keep it all warm. Any obviously nectar full frames (the inner 5 as mentioned) would also get moved to the edges to try and re-establish a trad nest structure. Have I mentioned about hoping for an Indian summer as well ;)

Latest posts

Back