Queen Grafting Jolly Today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just got back home after a day out in glorious Kent, being shown how to graft queen larvae.

Hosts for the day were Gandalf and Widdershins.........what lovely people, a warm welcome into their home and to their bees, sheets of useful information to read at home and then we were off to see the colonies to find out what was suitable, 1 colony had been primed a few days earlier and the grafting cups went in to be polished by the bees, then we went to another apiary to find suitably aged larvae, back to the house then for lunch amply provided by JC and then back to the primed colony..........I did a few grafts but then unfortunately had to leave, so I've now arrived home with much more of an idea of what the job is about, plenty of reading matter and the opportunity to go back again next year for another go.
Hospitality and welcome for the day was unsurpassed
From left to right......JC, Gandalf, Allotment Pete, Polyanwood, Graham.
Many thanks Scott and Ged xx

Last edited:
Frisbee,

The local man is "Allotment Pete", and this is hive, which he handmade and v. proud of and he's even chuffed he could reuse the copper water tank!!! for the roof.

Thanks for your comments and you are more than welcome back anytime.

Scott & Ged

you all wearing new suits?

No...i think they were all washed .....not in same washing machine!!!

Good pic Fris, well done.

I wanna do it again. ;)

Thanks for a great day. It is true. We can all rear British queens!

Fris,

I did leave enough for that response, on purpose. Didn't want to be branded sexist!

I still tell the students/pupils that Homo sapiens was a 'hunter-gatherer' - why humans are omnivorous (not vegetarians!) and why the female of the species had to remember far more than the male (she had to find the gathering areas again, and at the right time to gather the harvest of the particular plant) rather than see a quarry, hunt it down and kill it.

Regards, RAB

..... see a quarry, hunt it down ........

I saw a quarry once ...... it was in Bosnia-Hertzagovena ........

It was full of women .......... breaking rocks .............

I know some Brummie women who do that to their men as well ...........

:smash: .. :ack2: :leaving:

Latest posts

Back