queen excluder's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark s

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
16 + 3nuc's
hi all
in most of the books that im reading at the mo,they say steer clear of metal excluders as they damage the bees wings, and go with plastic one's
yours views plz
thanx

hi all
in most of the books that im reading at the mo,they say steer clear of metal excluders as they damage the bees wings, and go with plastic one's
yours views plz
thanx
I have used metal ones for years and never noticed any OBVIOUS issues with wing damage.
When I checked my hives this evening I looked to see if there were sharp edges on the excluder openings and all felt rounded due to build up of propolis/ wax/ dried honey etc.
I would be interested to hear others thoughts also.For me... I am happy with my metal ones, as I believe my bees are also.

I have top bee space and the plastic ones are annoying because they droop in the middle and the bees stick them to the top of the frames, so every time you open the box, you have to prize off this brace, that winds the bees up. I like the ones may of round wire, with a frame is best, not the slotted metal ones, which are rougher.

Run a wee frame round them to give them support. Vassie it to avoid it getting stuck and off you go. ;)

PH

I have slotted metal types with a frame and support cross-bar. I've not had any significant problems with them.

I have noticed that some people position them incorrectly. They make the assumption that in a top space hive, the cross-bar should be underneath to hold up the middle of the qx. All that happens is that the bees glue the cross-bar to the top of the frames.

There should be clear bee space all across the top of the frames, so the qx must be used with the cross-bar on the top side so as to hold up the qx and stop it sagging.

Seems to work ok that way. JC.

thanx al ill stick with the metal one's that i have then:)

Back