Queen excluders not up to the job!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
It's rather a pain isn't it it would be better if the corners were jointed properly and glued.
the corners are continuously exposed to the elements, no glue will last forever in that, simple manoeuvre is to pop a a 10mm brad in to each corner - problem solved

small screws have come out and the thin staples
Sounds like product confusion here, Mark. The link you gave is for the glued and jointed QX made (I believe) in Italy and stocked by many UK suppliers. There are no screws or staples involved and they hold together forever, unless you dip them in boiling washing soda (won't try that again).

Thorne make their own screwed and stapled version but because of the inherent weakness of those connections, it is an inferior product; the wood frame is lighter, which doesn't help. Check the Thorne description, which states that screws and staples are used.

At the last BeeTradex Maisemore were selling the good QXs in boxes of 28, which brought the price down to £14 each.

Ah, but the link was to the good ones! You can see the lap joints clearly.
Moral of the story: avoid Thorne QXs at £18 and buy at £15.95 from Caddon (among others) who sell the pukka item.
Will look into it as I will need another 50

Just to be clear I too was alluding to the general queen excluder and not to the one in the advert......which I really like the look of by the way!!

Just to be clear I too was alluding to the general queen excluder and not to the one in the advert......which I really like the look of by the way!!
Those come apart after a few years of normal use as well

My oak framed Abelo's are standing up well so far.
The Abelo framed QX is the same as the Caddon, the Park, the Maisemore, the National Bee Supplies (pricey), Becky'sBeezz and a row of others up and down the land; they're all good.

Take care: Simon the Beekeeper stock a QX that looks similar and although about a tenner less than the real deal, is not in fact the bargain it appears: the STB has beespace both sides (no extra cost!). See the double space here, as well as the inaccurate wood cutting.

Old Castle Farm Hives have one at £11.95, but look closely and it too seems to have double bee space.

Last edited:
My landlord had a few of those with screws, had nothing but excess comb built through each one. Looked like the space was too big, anyway chucked those and replaced them with bamboo excluders which solved the problem. Frameless wire ones work well.

I use tin snips to cut narrow bands of tin from old galv excluders to bend over the corners of framed excluders when they come apart, gives them another few years.

Wooden framed Queen Excluders range in price from a few pounds upwards, the clues normally in the price!. I’ve find the addition of some gorilla expanding glue to lapped joints or even a few spots on the wooden frame and metal overlap greatly increases strength/longevity.

In the sales last year I bought a couple of Thornes plastic plus queen excluders which I was impressed with this season.

They don't get stuck down as much as the wooden ones and they seem to lift up nicely rather than flick up like the wooden ones do sometimes.

Early days yet but I purchased another large batch in their sale, think they were like £3 each. XP Queen Excluder PLUS

In the sales last year I bought a couple of Thornes plastic plus queen excluders which I was impressed with this season.

They don't get stuck down as much as the wooden ones and they seem to lift up nicely rather than flick up like the wooden ones do sometimes.

Early days yet but I purchased another large batch in their sale, think they were like £3 each. XP Queen Excluder PLUS
I have some of these, they work but they have an awful lot of bend and wiggle about them after a bit and I tend to get odd lumps of bracecomb where they've distorted.

The Abelo framed QX is the same as the Caddon, the Park, the Maisemore, the National Bee Supplies (pricey), Becky'sBeezz and a row of others up and down the land; they're all good.

Take care: Simon the Beekeeper stock a QX that looks similar and although about a tenner less than the real deal, is not in fact the bargain it appears: the STB has beespace both sides (no extra cost!). See the double space here, as well as the inaccurate wood cutting.

Old Castle Farm Hives have one at £11.95, but look closely and it too seems to have double bee space.

The Abelo framed QX is not the same as the others.
Please don't put false information.

Yellow plastic excluders bought from T------ a few years ago are now brittle and breaking up . Interestingly green ones from M........ bought at the same time are still fine. Perhaps a different form of plastic?

Attachments

• yellow plastic excluders warped and breaking up.jpg
    yellow plastic excluders warped and breaking up.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back