Queen Excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9rml

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi, I have a WBC which has a brood box and a super full of stores with the queen excluder removed. How and when do i replace the queen excluder in the spring to make sure the queen is down in the brood box?

Wait till it is warm enough to inspect properly - this was quite late this year, mid/late April as I recall. Open up, look through the super, if no queen, stick the excluder on between super and brood box. You could go through the entire brood to make sure the queen is there, which is more thorough, but the weather may mitigate against disturbing them further.

If you get it wrong, when you go back a week later, there will be eggs in the super. Find queen (she will be there if there are eggs), and put her in the brood box. Replace queen excluder....

Thanks Rae. Another Question when i Oxalic acid in late December do i lift the super off to do it or just the crown board and put 5ml between each frame

Latest posts

Back