Queen excluder washing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobh

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Dip QE into hot solution of washing soda. If you need a big container, turn a roof section upside down and put a big sheet of polythene inside it, then flood with the washing soda. Leave the QE in solution for 30 mins then wash in clean water.

I feel an internet shopping moment coming on. ...

Worth a try at the local garden centre and hardware shop.
Delivery charges make a large proportion of the total.

And that site probably isn't the best price ... shop around!

Worth a try at the local garden centre and hardware shop.
Delivery charges make a large proportion of the total.

And that site probably isn't the best price ... shop around!

Will do.
C

They are generally around 8 quid in garden centres.

Found a local hydroponics shop selling it at the same price. Will pick one up when I drive past next. Cheaper than internet p&p.
Thanks
Cazza

If you need a big container, turn a roof section upside down and put a big sheet of polythene inside it,

good tip!

Oven cleaning bags

If you need a big container, turn a roof section upside down and put a big sheet of polythene inside it,

good tip!
I use Oven cleaning bags from Pound Land £1for 2 bags, just put the Excluders in the bag, then leave them over night wash them the next day, no problem.

I use Oven cleaning bags from Pound Land £1for 2 bags, just put the Excluders in the bag, then leave them over night wash them the next day, no problem.

Another good tip.

I now throw away the plastic ones rather than spend a long time trying to clean them. It still takes a lot of scrubbing to get them clean. I have tried neat bleach and also tried using caustic soda, both of which get the wax and propolis off a lot better than washing soda. Not sure it is worth it though.

I scrape and scorch the metal/wood queen excluders. If you soak them the wood warps.

Found a local hydroponics shop selling it at the same price. Will pick one up when I drive past next. Cheaper than internet p&p.
Thanks
Cazza

Never go to the hydroponics in your own car ! the old bill watch these and you'll get raided to see if your growing dope

Never go to the hydroponics in your own car ! the old bill watch these and you'll get raided to see if your growing dope

Nah I think they send the helicopter over before raiding you.

There are heat maps somewhere of the UK. Very interesting to see.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
I would like to see them try it

QE cleaning

Scrape off as much as possible wire brush,then use gas torch bugs dead wax
fills gaps in in frame and protects wood.
John

Scrape off as much as possible wire brush,then use gas torch bugs dead wax
fills gaps in in frame and protects wood.
John

I agree, not much escapes the naked flame :)
Vm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back