Queen excluder too big - is this a problem?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freethorpe bees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two - one fiesty, one lovely. ;0)
Someone has given me two 500 x 500 mm queen excluders. When placed on top of a national brood box it overlaps by about an inch and a half on two sides. Can anyone see if this would cause a problem?
Thanks - fb

They are yellow plastic by the way.

Last edited:
make up a 5/16 " eke to fit under QE and on top of BB to give bee space above BB if using bottom bee space boxes.
QE will stick out at front and sides, but then Nationals are not pretty hives anyway!!

I'm sorry to be thick but why do I need an eke?

:confused:

I was about to second hopit's suggestion and explain the correct size eke to freethorpe but realised he was talking 500mm and I'm thinking Nationals are 18" .....end of!

Freethorpe, imo it's not worth trying to use them

richard

I'm sorry to be thick but why do I need an eke?

:confused:

you dont, the plastic QE sit on top of the frames and get proplised to the frames, so twist off rather than lift

if you put a bee space eke it is easier for the bees BUT the plastic sags on hot days and you are back to square one

so i would say buy a new wire one £15 or is you must a plastic one for a £5

i doubt it will be easy to cut it to size as it will split and shatter ( tried it:biggrinjester:)

what hive are they off 50cm square

No idea why he had that size qe. No wonder he gave them to me! I'll get some proper fitting ones and adapt one of them as a sieve for my compost!

Thanks for all the advice.

Well I have a couple of qe s for said hive if anyone wants them!

"50cm square could be a Dadant-Blatt"

- also the minimum setting of Cherie Blairs mouth!

They shouldn't shatter if cut with a bandsaw. Use where you think a bit of Qx material might come in handy without having to destroy a good fitting one.

Just think of all those devices that might benefit from a bit of Qx as a component.

Latest posts

Back