Queen discs - that glow in the dark!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
too many for one apiary
Ok, maybe they don't actually glow in the dark, but I swear, years ago I was at an apiary and the beek had glued (or maybe he bought in a queen) a 'red' disc onto the Queen, well is was more of an Orange colour, BUT whenever I looked down between the frames I could actually see the fluorescent flash of orange/red amongst all those bees!!!

In short, all one had to do was lift the frame 1" clear from the other frames and you knew from a sideways glance whether the queen was on that side of the frame of not!

Last year, virtually all of my queens were marked more than once with paint, now upon inspecting my hives the most that a few queens have is a very small ringlet of colour!

So this year I'm going to glue discs on them - BUT if I'm going to glue discs then why not go all the way and glue those glow in the dark discs I saw many years ago; sadly I can no longer ask the beek where they came from... but I can ask you lot! So, does anyone know where one can get these fluorescent discs?

These are the ones which Thornes are selling,
https://www.thorne.co.uk/queen/marking?product_id=4415they look more pastel to me!

Ok, maybe they don't actually glow in the dark, but I swear, years ago I was at an apiary and the beek had glued (or maybe he bought in a queen) a 'red' disc onto the Queen, well is was more of an Orange colour, BUT whenever I looked down between the frames I could actually see the fluorescent flash of orange/red amongst all those bees!!!

In short, all one had to do was lift the frame 1" clear from the other frames and you knew from a sideways glance whether the queen was on that side of the frame of not!

Last year, virtually all of my queens were marked more than once with paint, now upon inspecting my hives the most that a few queens have is a very small ringlet of colour!

So this year I'm going to glue discs on them - BUT if I'm going to glue discs then why not go all the way and glue those glow in the dark discs I saw many years ago; sadly I can no longer ask the beek where they came from... but I can ask you lot! So, does anyone know where one can get these fluorescent discs?

These are the ones which Thornes are selling,
https://www.thorne.co.uk/queen/marking?product_id=4415they look more pastel to me!

Thorne's approach to pricing is interesting: Leucht Opalith Zeichenplättchen Set 5 Farben und Kleber, 7,90 €

Yes, that's what I'm looking for, not only bright coloured but also numbered, ahh this is going to make life so much easier! Thanks.

Thornes sell a kit with metal discs that allow you to pick the Queen up with a magnetic pen.
I think it was also suggested that by installing a magnetic strip at the hive entrance it would catch the Queen should she attempt to leave, thus preventing swarms.

(I may have dreamt that last bit).

Thornes sell a kit with metal discs that allow you to pick the Queen up with a magnetic pen.
I think it was also suggested that by installing a magnetic strip at the hive entrance it would catch the Queen should she attempt to leave, thus preventing swarms.

Oh dear god......flow hive owners dream😂 you couldn’t fit them to a warre hive they as it would interrupt the natural magnetic field for any bees alive in them that is😉

If she wants to leave best thing is a sharp pin in her - if her wings aren't clipped anyway of course? :D

Yes
I cannot get postage to the UK when you check out. We have been removed!!!

I suggest that you drop them an email. I've received goods from them before so I expect it's just a system thing. If they don't do very much business here, it may not have made it onto the list.

something to do with us now being officially a thirld world country?
More likely explanation is that they have appointed Thornes as the UK distributor and there is a market protection clause in the agreement preventing direct competition in the UK.

Yes
I cannot get postage to the UK when you check out. We have been removed!!!
Ireland has been removed as well! .... Apparently the entire island is out!
I've been back and forth with them and they DO NOT send to the UK ...and Northern Ireland !

More likely explanation is that they have appointed Thornes as the UK distributor and there is a market protection clause in the agreement preventing direct competition in the UK.

Do you know this for certain Philip ? I haven't heard anything about that.
I've used this company myself and found their goods pretty good quality. Their woodwork is very good

Do you know this for certain Philip ? I haven't heard anything about that.
I've used this company myself and found their goods pretty good quality. Their woodwork is very good
No ... As I said I suspect that it may be the reason ..

I used to work with a number of distributors in various markets .. it's generally accepted that within a distributor agreement there will be a clause preventing the supplier competing with the distributor - it makes sense - otherwise what is the point of marketing and developing the market when the supplier can then sell the product at or in this case below the market price in direct competition with the distributor.

There is nothing unsavoury about such an arrangement - Distributors have to work hard to create a foreign market for a product (working on behalf of the supplier) and retail prices are usually a mutually agreed part of the distributor agreement.

This was, of course, not permissible within EU countries as there was free trade but now we are outside of the EU we are now outside of the framework that effectively prevented such arrangements.

Clearly, in this case it may just be the supplier is reluctant to participate in the paperwork now required to ship small value products on a retail basis to the UK ... who knows ?

Latest posts

Back