Queen cups

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi quick question : found 2 small Queen cups centre frame, I knocked down . Question is
How do you know if they’re planning supercedure ? ( centre frame hard and fast rule? Difference between play cups and intended ?) Couldn’t see any eggs inside) Should I knock down all Queen cups to prevent swarming or leave in case they’re changing queens ? Thanks

Bees make queen cups all the time. I leave them. They do not indicate swarming. If you find a queen cup with an egg look in tho the colony in three days. A queen cup with jelly in it is a queen cell and the colony will need an AS of some kind
Knocking down queen cups/queen cells does not prevent swarming
Supersedure cells tend to be one or two at the edge of the brood nest (remember the brood nest is a 3d affair) but anywhere on the frame.
You don't know the bees are planning though you might have an inkling

Hi quick question : found 2 small Queen cups centre frame, I knocked down . Question is
How do you know if they’re planning supercedure ? ( centre frame hard and fast rule? Difference between play cups and intended ?) Couldn’t see any eggs inside) Should I knock down all Queen cups to prevent swarming or leave in case they’re changing queens ? Thanks

As already said, queen cups (cups with no larva/royal jelly in) can be ignored, though I tend to tear than down as part of checking whether they have anything in.

One of the things which leads beginners down the garden path more than any other is trying to second guess whether queen cells are supercedure or swarm.

There are NO hard rules, with the exception that if you find 10+ queen cells (that is, cells with the milky white royal jelly in) they are pretty much definitely swarm cells, not supersedure cells.

But bees can swarm on two cells found in the centre of a frame. So don't try to guess. I would recommend forgetting that supersedure is even a thing - it just leads you to wishful thinking.

If you find queen cells (not queen cups) then just assume they are attempting to swarm and take your chosen course of swarm control action (i.e. some from of artificial swarm).

PS: Just tearing down the queen cells is NOT a course of action - you will miss one, and they will swarm.

Bees make queen cups all the time. I leave them. They do not indicate swarming. If you find a queen cup with an egg look in tho the colony in three days. A queen cup with jelly in it is a queen cell and the colony will need an AS of some kind
Knocking down queen cups/queen cells does not prevent swarming
Supersedure cells tend to be one or two at the edge of the brood nest (remember the brood nest is a 3d affair) but anywhere on the frame.
You don't know the bees are planning though you might have an inkling
Thank you for your time and your advice

As already said, queen cups (cups with no larva/royal jelly in) can be ignored, though I tend to tear than down as part of checking whether they have anything in.

One of the things which leads beginners down the garden path more than any other is trying to second guess whether queen cells are supercedure or swarm.

There are NO hard rules, with the exception that if you find 10+ queen cells (that is, cells with the milky white royal jelly in) they are pretty much definitely swarm cells, not supersedure cells.

But bees can swarm on two cells found in the centre of a frame. So don't try to guess. I would recommend forgetting that supersedure is even a thing - it just leads you to wishful thinking.

If you find queen cells (not queen cups) then just assume they are attempting to swarm and take your chosen course of swarm control action (i.e. some from of artificial swarm).

PS: Just tearing down the queen cells is NOT a course of action - you will miss one, and they will swarm.
Thanks for your time and advice :)

Latest posts

Back