queen cups

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karen p

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I caught a small swarm Sunday 27th May, I assumed it was a cast swarm. Housed it in a poly nucleus on foundation. Had a quick look in today . They are building on 4 frames and have some stores. On the central face of one there are 6 queen cups.
I understand the need to wait 3 or 4 weeks before checking for eggs and have done this in the past with previous swarms. I was really just looking as I was considering feeding as the weather has turned wet here again. I did not spend time looking for virgin queen as didn't want to disturb them unduly but is it normal for them to be building queen cups at this early stage? The previous two swarms I have caught I just left for a few weeks and then checked for brood so I guess they could have built queen cups in the first week without me knowing.

queen cups are known as play cups they dont mean a lot until there is a larvae in them then they are queen cells.

Latest posts

Back