Queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I was concerned for him about a cast swarm possibility, hence the split. I couldn't see any queens at all, but it wasn't a thorough inspection by any stretch. Bees can swarm on any of the three types of queen cells of course.
If it was a quickie inspection how sure are you about BIAS which means brood in all stages which includes larvae and eggs? Makes more sense if there weren't any eggs?

Last edited:
I have never got on using the term BIAS and tbh very rarely use it. For my records I have always simply used E/U/S to log the brood stages.

I have never got on using the term BIAS and tbh very rarely use it. For my records I have always simply used E/U/S to log the brood stages.
Which is wisest as at least then you are listing every stage not just making a sweeping statement.

My record sheets have E/L/S as headings, just a case of ticking a box!

If it was a quickie inspection how sure are you about BIAS which means brood in all stages which includes larvae and eggs? Makes more sense if there weren't any eggs?
Extremely sure. 100 per cent. Once into the brood frames, that took me just a few seconds to confirm. 😁 Not boasting or anything....

If they swarmed on those cells, those cells were not going to be visible of course with a quick tilt up of the brood box, and look along the lower bar of the frame.

If they swarmed on those cells, those cells were not going to be visible of course with a quick tilt up of the brood box, and look along the lower bar of the frame.
Well, if you go that way in swarm season then you got to expect a few ... swarms.

My record sheets have E/L/S as headings, just a case of ticking a box!
At the risk of looking stupid:
E - eggs
U - uncapped
L - larvae
S?

Evolution! Was listening to a piece on the radio a few days ago about a plant used in Chinese medicine that's evolving to be harder to find...

Latest posts

Back