Queen Cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi guys i think i may have already seen a post for this but i cant find it.

My question is how long does it take the bees to Cap a queen cell and once capped how long until the virgin queen hatches.

8 days in each case give or take a few hours depending upon temperature.

For swarm and supercedure cells which have an egg in then as Jon says 8 days.
For emergency cells where the bee extends an existing worker cell with a larvae in them then 3-5 days depending on the age of the larvae.

so how many days after the queen cell has been capped until it hatches

capped on day 8, hatch on day 16, ready for mating flights day 20 (IIRC)

hth :)

Burch?

Might be a good idea to memorise the table of development so that you know how long each caste takes to emerge and so on so that you can have a foundation on which to base your thoughts on inspecting your bees.

It's one of the essentials.

PH

Mating requires 69 degrees.... uh huh, if that was the case there wouldn't be a queen in Scotland at all...LOL

PH

Mating requires 69 degrees.... uh huh, if that was the case there wouldn't be a queen in Scotland at all...LOL

PH

20.56c, think we have that here :cheers2:

Last edited:
Last edited:
I will say this yet again, beware American stats.

"If you find a capped queen cell, how long before you should see eggs from that queen? 20 days. "

Lets say she's newly capped, so emergence is some 8 days off, plus the classic UK 21 days, so that's 28 right there, and I have found often enough in Scotland it can take 30 days to get going, so we are now looking at 38 days.

Not quite the same math is it?

PH

got a strange feeling one of my hives is queenless i checked it this morning and it has loads of bees in both the brood chamber and super. however i have about 5 capped queen cells. i last checked this hive on tuesday and i removed all queen cells (only checked this morning to see if my hunch was right) so looks like a scrub queen. the brood chamber has loads of sealed brood but i was unable to find any eggs or lavae

Latest posts

Back