Queen Cells - Should I split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I can see queen cells in the hives. Is it ok to split the hive now?
If I split, my worry is whether it is going to make the colony weaker and that can affect them in winter.
Thanks

Hi,
If I split, my worry is whether it is going to make the colony weaker and that can affect them in winter.
Thanks
well if you don't do something the colony will swarm and will be even weaker.
Nuc the queen with a frame of brood, food, some drawn comb and shake in a good two or three framefuls of bees, reduce the QCs in the hive to one and let them make a new queen in there

Hi,
Thanks
JBM has it. If you’re worried about the strength of either colony going into winter you can unite them.

well if you don't do something the colony will swarm and will be even weaker.
Nuc the queen with a frame of brood, food, some drawn comb and shake in a good two or three framefuls of bees, reduce the QCs in the hive to one and let them make a new queen in there
Please note that when JBM says 'nuc the queen' he means put it in a nuc and not kill it!:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

I opened it today and I noticed more than 6 queen cells in the entire brood box.
I could not see the queen in the hive for the past 4 weeks. So, I left 3 uncapped queen cells.
I will open the hive in a few days and check for the queen once more and if I don't find her, I will keep one the queen cells and let it hatch.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back