Queen cells on excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its.only.money

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
Today I checked a strong hive with a couple of supers on. There was small sections of brace comb on the QE with what appeared to be queen cups. A couple of the cups were charged.
No queen cells on edges or bottom of any frames as far as I could see.
Not seen queen cells on the excluder before, is this normal? They were removed in the act of checking whether they had anything in them.
I will inspect again in a couple of days, but just wanted ask.
Many thanks

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Normally if they're just play cups they're empty, and most were, but a couple had a small amount of white jelly in.

I suppose, from a bee’s point if view, it can be a convenient place for a queen cell - particularly if it hangs over a seam.

That's it! Just not seen it like that before in my very limited experience. Likely to be space as well. I'll check again it a day or so.

I had a fully formed queen cell between the excluder and the top of a frame - it broke apart when I took the excluder off. It's the first time in 10 years that I have found one in that position so in my experience - no, not usual.

I had a fully formed queen cell between the excluder and the top of a frame - it broke apart when I took the excluder off. It's the first time in 10 years that I have found one in that position so in my experience - no, not usual.

You seeing any pattern in that burrcomb build...?... I cannot.
It is all over the place, totally random.
Simply a case of too much gap between QX and BC topbars.
At this time of year easily proven to be so.

Bill

Latest posts

Back