Queen cells inincubator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
National and 14x12
Just had a swarm queen cell emerge from my honey warmer. Today is the 7th days it's been in the warmer. I've still go 2 QC from the same batch yet to emerge.
All were sealed before going in, so I would expect 8 days from being sealed before expected emergence. However as the temperature varies a bit in the warmer say from 30-35 degrees their emergence may be delayed.
How long should I wait before I label them as duds?
What's the longest time someone has seen a queen take to emerge from a sealed cell in an incubator?
THanks

Finman- made me smile- but will Eyeman get it???

Breed from non swarmy, Eyeman :cheers2: - maybe use her if an emergency to stop laying workers kicking in....

Get it.
The colony was an early queen from last year with no probs last year and lots of honey. They got congested this year without me doing anything so that didn't help.
I happy to use these cells as the queens have been a good size (Someone says size doesn't matter!!).
How about how long to keep a cell in an incubator?
Thanks

Thanks again. Clearly not making myself clear
The question was can they take longer than usual to emerge because I have kept them in an incubator at a fluctuating temperature? ie. should I give them 10 days from a sealed queen cell rather than the usual 8-9 days?
Thanks

They may be at least 3 days more in too cold but I don't know if they are then spoiled. In normal hive the cycle time is very accurate.

Incubation box needs a propeller that it keeps the temp even and thermostate works.. But the hive is a good place to incubate. Keep them between 2 brood frames.

Last edited:
You need to keep the humidity up as well as the temperature. A tray of water should do the trick. The wax around a sealed cell is slightly porous in in worker brood it is the capping which is porous.

Did that in my incubator - had damp tissue over the water section- she hatched, climbed in- drowned. :svengo:

Latest posts

Back