Queen Cells but no drone cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a single hive (but wish to expand) - it has been slow to build up after what seemed a good start - possibly due to the odd Spring weather we've been having (or that's what I assumed as there were no signs of other problems). Inspected a week ago and very low on stores so gave then some 1:1 syrup - also did not see any queen cells. Could not see eggs or queen (but often have difficulty with that) but there was very young brood.

Inspected again yesterday - taken all the syrup and there were two queen cells - one sealed and one unsealed (so presumably I missed them the previous week - not sure how but there we go!). No evidence of having swarmed in terms of number of bees compared with previous and again there was very young brood. But there were minimal drone cells and I couldn't see any drones in the hive.

I did the first step of the Wally Shaw Modified Snelgrove II (and keeping fingers crossed that they hadn't swarmed). So my question is that if the next steps in this method are followed (and bearing in mind that I would like to increase) and if there are no drones how likely is it that a virgin queen would mate?

My understanding is that she is unlikely to mate with any drones from your hive anyway. So, unless you're really isolated from other hives, you should be OK.

If they are slow building up best check them for nosema. All you need is 10 bees and a microscope, of course.
I simply put one of those plunge queen catchers over a feeder hole and catch bees that way. No need to even open the hive. Look up randy olivers quick squash method

No evidence of having swarmed in terms of number of bees compared with previous

That means absolutely nothing - young bees continue to emerge at the same rate after the colony has swarmed and stay in the hive rather than go out foraging so the hive will look just as full within a day of swarming.

Two q cells? That's supercedure.

I have a single hive (but wish to expand) - it has been slow to build up after what seemed a good start - possibly due to the odd Spring weather we've been having (or that's what I assumed as there were no signs of other problems). Inspected a week ago and very low on stores so gave then some 1:1 syrup - also did not see any queen cells. Could not see eggs or queen (but often have difficulty with that) but there was very young brood.

Inspected again yesterday - taken all the syrup and there were two queen cells - one sealed and one unsealed (so presumably I missed them the previous week - not sure how but there we go!). No evidence of having swarmed in terms of number of bees compared with previous and again there was very young brood. But there were minimal drone cells and I couldn't see any drones in the hive.

I did the first step of the Wally Shaw Modified Snelgrove II (and keeping fingers crossed that they hadn't swarmed). So my question is that if the next steps in this method are followed (and bearing in mind that I would like to increase) and if there are no drones how likely is it that a virgin queen would mate?

Slow to build up and needs feeding at this time of year after what you describe as a good start would indicate you have a problem sutch as nosema.

Where on the frames did you see the queen cells? Somewhere central on a frame would indicate supersedure although at this time of year it can trigger swarming.

It's drones from other colonies that will mate with any virging your hive produces.

If they are slow building up best check them for nosema. All you need is 10 bees and a microscope, of course.
I simply put one of those plunge queen catchers over a feeder hole and catch bees that way. No need to even open the hive. Look up randy olivers quick squash method

The simple tricks n' tips are the best...........

Sorry if this is obvious but a mistake I made as a newbie: they haven't backfilled the nest with syrup and started swarming due to lack of space have they?

Definitely loads of space. I had removed a nadired super on one of the rare early warm days and had a quick look in the brood box as it was so heavy and removed two frames that were absolutely full with ivy honey in the middle and then filled with the autumn feed round the edge - and replaced with two drawn frames.

The weather here has been cold on more days than not after that initial burst (OK for the last few) which is why I assumed the bees were running out of stores and hence why I fed.

There are no obvious signs of nosema but accept that can't be definitive without resorting to microscope examination.

Presumably if I check the Q+ (or hopefully Q+) in a couple of days and see if there are eggs that will confirm if they have swarmed.

If they are still making queen cells what is the best approach - assume they have swarmed and let them get on with it?

After finding these cells, did you shake the bees off all the other frames? There could be more. Same as Tom Bick, I'd be concerned about supersedure at this time of year.

Back