Queen cells being built

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyGoat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a hive which has been building up from a caste swarm since mid june. and now covers 6 brood frames and 5 super frames - I have left the excluder off and there is brood and stores in the super.
Yesterday, I saw there were what looks like a couple of Queen cells built in the comb of the super.
I didn't see the Queen but there are eggs on the brood frames and the Queen still seems to be laying OK.
Am I looking at supercedure cells or are they likely to swarm this late in the year?

Thanks for any input.

Most likely superceding, but what do you mean 'looks like'. QCs are fairly distinctive.

Regards, RAB

Most likely superceding, but what do you mean 'looks like'. QCs are fairly distinctive.

Regards, RAB
The cells were not complete - still being built I think - but nothing like any of the other cells - they stick out from normal cells and were much larger - and heading towards being peanut shaped.

Did you check inside to see if there was royal jelly and a larva inside the cells?
Bees can draw out queen cups quite a distance without there being anything inside.

With but 6 frames of brood why is there a super on?

PH

With but 6 frames of brood why is there a super on?

PH
My error PH. First hive for me and didn't realise what would happen.
Any ideas on getting them to draw out rest of the frames. I can't remove the super now - it's got most of the stores and some brood.

I can't remove the super now - it's got most of the stores and some brood.

Not now, but you could in a couple of weeks or so, dependent on the state of the brood in the super.

QE on now, then reduce to brood only when brood in super is hatched. Feed for food or to draw comb if necessary. Replace stores later. Doing nothing now may cause a problem at the end of the season, may not. With only one colony you need to get it right or as best right as possible for the winter.

Are you wanting to over-winter on a brood and a half or a single bood box?

Regards, RAB

No need for an excluder here, put the sup under and the bees will do the rest.

Bees always want to go up.............. which is one very good reason I look askance at TBH systems.

PH

Thankyou all for your advice.
I'm intending to overwinter with brood + 1/2, so will swap the super to the bottom as suggested.
many thks

John

Latest posts

Back