Queen cells and splitting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It important that laying queen is in the swarm hive. There are all foragers. Soon the queen starts laying, and itis inspired by foraged nectar and pollen. To put the queen into a nuc stops the build up of the colony.
Though that might be an advantage if heading for a forage gap. Also can unite the queen back with the brood she’s made once swarming fever is over, but I understand your point, she’ll be better fed and lay more in the main colony of flying bees vs a Nuc. Suppose just depends on your goals and what’s happening in your wider area re forage

Suppose just depends on your goals and what’s happening in your wider area re forage

What means wider are re forage?

My goals are simple: to get honey during summer.

I move my hives to best pastures in summer, where bees can forage at short distance . On better pasture the yield is easily 3 fold

If the swarm escapes, then the yield of the hive is gone.

A swarmed colony is not able to forage any more.

You do not get, if you do not try.

What means wider are re forage?

My goals are simple: to get honey during summer.

I move my hives to best pastures in summer, where bees can forage at short distance . On better pasture the yield is easily 3 fold

If the swarm escapes, then the yield of the hive is gone.

A swarmed colony is not able to forage any more.

You do not get, if you do not try.
My goals are different to yours: to enjoy & learn about keeping bees; to improve my bees (temper being first priority and their health and welfare second, honey is a byproduct and third).

My goals are different to yours: to enjoy & learn about keeping bees; to improve my bees (temper being first priority and their health and welfare second, honey is a byproduct and third).
If you say so.
I do not enjoy about bees, During 60 years I have not been interested about learning, I am not interested to breed bees.....

I have just kept bees. Over 100 kg yields / hive have just dropped from sky without knowing what happened

I have education of biology researches.

Last edited:
If you say so.

Your answers is odd.
Not everyone is into beekeeping because of the honey. Having said that I do ok and Make enough to cover my costs (before I then bought a van!). I’m a hobbyist not a bee farmer. Understanding our differences and empathising, means we can enjoy learning from each other

Not everyone is into beekeeping because of the honey.

I wonder, how many times I have heard that argument in this forum. Perhaps once a week.

I have noticed that beekeeping is to many beekeepers a beauty competition: foundations must be premium quality, and frames too. And you want to pay double price from those.

Last edited:
I wonder, how many times I have heard that argument in this forum. Perhaps once a week.

I have noticed that beekeeping is to many beekeepers a beauty competition: foundations must be premium quality, and frames too. And you want to pay double price from those.
It’s not an argument. It’s a fact, there are different reasons for beekeeping.
Also it’s not helpful to make sweeping statements, there may be people who want the best quality and that’s up to them I don’t think we should scorn.
I use a combination of foundationless frames and bought foundation. I buy seconds frames and wait til they are on offer.

After the split....I now have a new queen in the "swarm" hive the old queen must have swarmed....I saw her today....nice and fat... she's been really busy..plenty of brood...but the hive are already making new queen cells???

The old hive....there was an open queen cell...but no queen...so I guess she never made it for one reason or another....

I have transferred a frame with queen cells from the swarm hive back into the old hive and removed any queen cells from the "swarm" hive.

Why are they making new queen cells when they have a brand new queen who is laying really well?

Latest posts

Back