Queen Cell.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Is a queen cell built before the egg is laid, or do they build cell first?

How is the cell built..........

depends upon whether supercedure/swarm/emergency cell.

obviously emergency cells are built around existing eggs (or just hatched larvae).

play cups are built empty.

You haven't got any have you?

You haven't got any have you?

Hope not.

It appears to be burr comb that they are building. Lumps of cells as opposed to one cell. Down to my bad measurement of frame spacing.

I had that until after the SBI visit. When he finished, he used his hive tool as a lever and wedged the BB frames together tightly - no more burr comb...one of the most useful things I learnt that day!

Last edited:
I have also noticed that where there isnt enough space they have chewed thro the edge of the foundation and made their own space....

I must have missed the planning application...

We had an empty cup on the bottom of one of the supers. I told our mentor and he wasn't that bothered by it. We were starting treatment a few days later, and I asked him if he wanted to see it, but he said not to bother them. They are in treatment now. I have to replace the strips this week and can't get this rid of this niggling feeling that I might have discovered it as it was just built, and about to be laid in.

I know I should trust my mentor, but the hive is bursting, then this cup appears :( Why would they have built it if not to use it?

Kaz
What strips are are you using?

Apilife Var. We snapped into 4 and put on each corner of the brood frames....he told us to repeat after two weeks, which will be this Wednesday coming. I have been watching the temperatures on the weather lol. I think we've had one day where the temp was below 15 :( I hope that doesn't affect it too much.

I had two sealed queen cells on tuesday evening when I checked,they were very small(poor quality),I removed them.

Latest posts

Back