Queen cell temperatures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiteoakjill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
have removed a capped queen cell from a colony and would like to try and get it to hatch in a jam jar, I think someone mentioned this the other day in a post. I dont have an airing cupboard, what sort of temperature should they be kept at. I dont particularily intend to use the emerging queen it is more of an experiment.

thanks

Hi Whiteoakjill,

I think it`s 35C +/- 1C and about 65% Rh.

Darren.

Spot on Darren - My incubator is set at 34C and 70% - last batch was a 100% success:party:

hatch in a jam jar

Hi whiteoakjill

I tried this last year, it was kind of an experiment, i would not recommend it, i just used the only items available to me at the time. I did get one hatch out and she was used.

You could pop it in an Apidea with some bees, that would be more natural.
(If you have one that is).

Spot on Darren - My incubator is set at 34C and 70% - last batch was a 100% success
Hi MJBee
Have you had much success with QC's which have recenltly been capped?
I recently put a batch in my honey warmer and 2 'fresher' looking ones didn't emerge. I left them 10 days and there was a larvae in each one.

As long as capped I have had success-( I use incubator set at 34C ) but be VERY gentle- to ensure no jolting to the queen larvae/pupae so it doesn't detach from the store of royal jelly above it.

Eyeman - Heather beat me to it:D Last batch was 100% successful.

Cheers Mike

Latest posts

Back