Queen cell Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
is it not posible to contain the queen in a cage of some sort whilst still on the comb in the hive, so when she pops out of her cell she can go no further than the cage?

I have three cells that are not capped as of yet but don't want to leave them all to there own.
It would be nice to have some back ups.

Interesting question. I guess if you could remove the cell after it has been sealed and given the amount of disturbance this would have to be after 12 days, then you could somehow fix the cell in a hair roller, ensuring the bottom of the cell was clear to allow the queen to escape it would be possible.

A simpler solution might be to keep a close eye on them and when the tips are "bronzed" pull the queen by disecting the cell. I did this today with a hive bought by a beginner which had recently swarmed. We made up a 3 frame nuc and ran the newly emerged queen in and took it away for mating.

Alternatively if the cells are on different frames make up individual nucs now.

Seen a picture of some one using a small nylon mesh bag and a weak rubber band around the top of the queen cell. Although the cell was hanging down from the foundation which was mounted horizontally at the time. The theory was all the cells apart from every 4th or 5th cell had been punched out killing the larvae in them leaving a row of about 15 odd cells with ripe day old larvae so the colony would think the viable remaining cells were all queen cells they would tend to them.

Not an option I would try.

You would think that some supplier would be making and selling such an item.

There are DIY versions out there, and a good pattern is featured in Snelgrove: Queen Rearing in England.

Do you have any pics or links Midland Beek?

Why not make up a small tube of metal fly screen and push it into the wax around the cell, make it long enough for her to emerge! When she pops out she will be trapped in the tube awaiting your arrival...

Simples! :D

i was thinking along those lines, but was not sure if it would work.
was hoping there was somthing i could buy, but might give that a go. :)

how about a tube fashoned from OMF material?

That entirely depends on what your OMF screens are made out of, of course. Regular metal mesh #8 would be good, but I have nucs with glass fly screen mesh and polyester pet mesh. The former being what some of the beesuits are made of and the latter is a bit heavier, with less visibility. Indeed with a bit of wire stiffening, both could suffice.

Take the HedgerowPete idea of varroa control one step further and you could almost pipe your new queens directly into holding bays in an array of Apidea. :) Almost queen rearing automation. :) :)

That entirely depends on what your OMF screens are made out of, of course. Regular metal mesh #8 would be good, but I have nucs with glass fly screen mesh and polyester pet mesh. The former being what some of the beesuits are made of and the latter is a bit heavier, with less visibility. Indeed with a bit of wire stiffening, both could suffice.

Take the HedgerowPete idea of varroa control one step further and you could almost pipe your new queens directly into holding bays in an array of Apidea. :) Almost queen rearing automation. :) :)

now theres a idea Hombre, it will be the next video lol

is it not posible to contain the queen in a cage of some sort whilst still on the comb in the hive, so when she pops out of her cell she can go no further than the cage?

I have three cells that are not capped as of yet but don't want to leave them all to there own.
It would be nice to have some back ups.

You could cut them off the comb and leave them in a ventilated queen cage, I've had hatchings from a few kept this way in an ice cream tub stuffed with bubble wrap and placed in the airing cupboard. When they emerge give them a bit of your own honey then run into a queenless hive or a mini nuc

Alternative just put the QC into a mini nuc. 250ml of bees from the supers, sprayed with weak sugar solution, queen cell held between two frame top bars, entrance closed up for a couple of days.

Latest posts

Back