Queen Cell or Virgin Queen into Apedia ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I am transferring my queen cells into the incubator tomorrow (grafted on Thursday). The few times before, I have set up the Apedia’s and put the Virgin queens in as they emerge. In the BBKA queen rearing booklet the say to put the queen cell into the Apedia 2 days before emerging. I can see timing wise it’s easier to put the cells in all at the same time. Are there any other advantages or disadvantages putting a queen cell in the Apedia, rather than a Virgin queen. Thank you.

I put (marked ) virgins into apideas. I found using QCs a number of Qs did not emerge - for whatever reason.
With virgins, you know you have a Q - unless lost on mating flights. Also marking a new emerged virgin is easier than a flying Queen

Good points above, this I my first go at grafting, although I tried to select the right size larvae, I may have selected some older than others. Potentially I am putting more cells in the incubator than I need, so if I get an excess, the latter to emerge may have been the younger larvae at grafting time, and a better queen. I presume it works that way.

While broodless mininucs accept introduced virgins quite readily those with brood (ie being used a subsequent time after moving on the laying previous queen to requeen a full colony , sell etc|) can reject them.

While broodless mininucs accept introduced virgins quite readily those with brood (ie being used a subsequent time after moving on the laying previous queen to requeen a full colony , sell etc|) can reject them.

That is interesting, as I will have one mini nuc being used again. Maybe I will put a queen cell in that one.

That is interesting, as I will have one mini nuc being used again. Maybe I will put a queen cell in that one.
Cage it or they may tear it down to make a new one if suitable brood is present in the nuc. It is often the norm with mini nucs to shake all the bees out and start again with new nurse bees.

It is often the norm with mini nucs to shake all the bees out and start again with new nurse bees.
That may be the best way, I am making up 4 mini nucs anyway, so I may as well start the other mini nuc off again. Put virgins from the incubator in all 5 with new nurse bees and have a consistent way of doing things.

If your introducing virgins dunk them in water before dropping into the minis…virgins are flighty, it slows them down and they attract less attention from the occupants.

I've always preferred to introduce cells to mini nucs, it gives a much longer window of opportunity to do the work if you're doing dozens.
To set them up gor the first time its best to follow the instructions and have them closed up in a cool dark place for a few days until the virgins have emerged before placing them out and opening them.
Once they're up and running I do like to leave them a day or so after harvesting the mated queen before dropping in a new cell but I'm aware others find it fine to harvest and drop the new cell in in one visit still maintaining pretty good percentages.
In fact, this is the major thing to consider when doing mini nucs, some will fail (and these tend to be thr ones you'll end up spending most time on putting right)so its all about doing more than you need and striving to get good success rates.

I work on the basis of 50% success from capped cell to mated laying Q. Up to mid July,
Thereafter I have 0% success due to wasps.

42CA2844-CE5A-45C3-A38B-BC0455DCB5E1.jpeg42CA2844-CE5A-45C3-A38B-BC0455DCB5E1.jpegDo the workers remove surplus eggs from cells laid by new queens
The brood pattern is otherwise very good

I add cells to my nucs and there not mini but normally about 3 standard deeps some are bigger some are only a couple of frames. Every now and then I steal brood and balance out, by the time wasps appear nucs are balanced and are a reasonable strength of mixed ages. Even adding q-cells in protectors some do still manage to destroy cells. The other day I gave a batch a squirt of deodorant when placed on the frame and a squirt into the hive. None of that batch have been torn down, I’ll keep trying and may start doing it as a matter of course.

I took my empty Apideas to target hive (along with virgins from incubator) collected bees from the super, sprayed with water and grabbed a cupful. Sprayed the Queen cage then dumped her into the apidea followed by the wet cup of bees, then took this to the mating site and placed on stand, simple as that and all worked fine. I've even got them in a line separated by maybe 8", this caused no issues either. I'll repeat the process again and next year and see if it holds up.

I work on the basis of 50% success from capped cell to mated laying Q. Up to mid July,
Thereafter I have 0% success due to wasps.
We don't get wasps here in worrying number until the end of August. By then mini nucs are established but I tend to stop queen rearing mid August.

Latest posts

Back