Queen cell no swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goshawk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
At least ten, capped queen cells however bees did not swarm, next inspection queen cells gone. I am wondering what happened, some nice days where they could have swarmed, many bad wet cold days.

Queen status newly mated, old or introduced queen.

Not sure what is going on there, 10 cells is a hive in swarm mode unless they are emergency QC. Happened to me years ago, found the queen crushed between two frames

Old queen.
Not sure what is going on there, 10 cells is a hive in swarm mode unless they are emergency QC. Happened to me years ago, found the queen crushed between two frames
Could not find the queen, dead or alive, bees very aggressive, new brood and eggs evident so someone is laying.

Could not find the queen, I assume old queen who was from a swarm
last year, these were not emergency cells as on the bottom and sides of frames.

Emergency cells are generally produced in the brood areas, at the bottom and sides they are planned while the queen is at home until they are sealed.

Queen cells do not usually disappear without trace, they get broken down by the first emerging queen or left to hatch and swarm again and again. It is difficult to understand that your bees have not swarmed all the signs would point to a hive in swarm mode.

I agree, it was my intention to make a split but when I could not find the queen I was resigned to let them swarm and either catch the swarm or let them go into one of the bait hives. Nothing happened, is it possible that due to poor weather that they decided to not swarm, release the queens who had a battle and one came out on top, is now mated and laying, it is the only explanation I can think of.

I agree, it was my intention to make a split but when I could not find the queen I was resigned to let them swarm and either catch the swarm or let them go into one of the bait hives. Nothing happened, is it possible that due to poor weather that they decided to not swarm, release the queens who had a battle and one came out on top, is now mated and laying, it is the only explanation I can think of.

Why don't you think they swarmed?

If not swarmed not easy to tell, but if old Q isn't present then it is the likely scenario. Was she clipped ?
What isn't mentioned is any date line /time scale of events, with no dates no one has much clue except to assume they have swarmed with the old Q.

Certainly not SS with so many cells so a new VQ may have emerged and mated, dates needed and other cells torn down or the old Q is present.

Back