Queen Cell Incubator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just messing around with that; the pad (trimmed to size) fits when pushing those white hangers in at the min height, and the set-up sits just between the cages, I'll take some images later and mess around a bit.

Cheers

So, few images with the pad cut to just over 70mm which manual states should give up to 70% humidity so guess it could be cut shorter and set a bit higher.

20220126_133125.jpg

20220126_134518.jpg

65mm is the sweet-spot with hanger at min setting and just touching the cages I reckon.

It actually looks pretty much identical to the Rcom egg incubator that I have, though the pump design has changed slightly. If it still uses a peristaltic pump then I recommend releasing the tubing from the pump mechanism when it's being stored as mine has sometimes "glued" itself together meaning that I need to snip a short length off the end of the water intake end to replace it.

I've also found the cable/water tube entrypoint a little weak. On mine I've made a bit of a loop with them and taped them to the body of the incubator to take the strain if either gets snagged.

James

Apart from that humidity pad set up, none at all, relatively quiet as well.
The plastic floor comes out so you can get a bit more headroom if needed - I was thinking of replacing it with a a polystyrene insert that has Nicot cage size depressions it. The plastic rails do work but it is quite tricky to take out an individual cage without disturbing those next to it and I have on occasion knocked one over.

The plastic floor comes out so you can get a bit more headroom if needed - I was thinking of replacing it with a a polystyrene insert that has Nicot cage size depressions it. The plastic rails do work but it is quite tricky to take out an individual cage without disturbing those next to it and I have on occasion knocked one over.
Yes the floor pad is fairly thick and I know what you mean regards the cages, I stuck empty ones in for support.

Unit came today, looks great. Dropped some standard Nicot cages in and they fit fine without the candy plugs, so can squeeze 70 in there which is plenty for my testing needs.

Cheers

View attachment 30119

I used one of these last season with good success. Put through 100 cells (in two batches) and all hatched fine. Temperature & humidity stayed very consistent. A good purchase and just the right size for my small set up.

Maybe you all know this, but they are made in Korea, explains quality difference (sorry China), and this model is actually made for beekeeping.

Looks good and the Nicot cages do seem to fit fine. Is that the RCOM Insect 70? Any downsides from your initial play with it?

Yeah it seems like a well made solid kit, yet to turn it on and test etc but from my limited overview looks great.

I'm going to build it into a Peli Case with power supply for mobile use, I'll drop the details on here once built.

Yeah it seems like a well made solid kit, yet to turn it on and test etc but from my limited overview looks great.

I'm going to build it into a Peli Case with power supply for mobile use, I'll drop the details on here once built.
Thanks that sounds good. Pls Post a pic too of the polystyrene inner you mentioned when you’ve managed it. Don’t like the idea of the cages falling over - I would have thought this unit specific for bees would have designed it into the unit. Guess you could use strips of cotton wool wadding to stabilise too, tho your idea sounds best. Thanks for sharing pics and your feedback to date

Fiddled about adapting this little incubator with now room for 8 cells . Holds temperature OK and humidity as well. Looking forward to giving it a go in the spring. If it doesn't work the grandchildren will be getting it for hatching eggs for chickens (they are on a farm). Works out at about £26 all in. Was in a different thread but have shifted it here - seems more appropriate.

Attachments

• IMG_3753.JPG
    IMG_3753.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 17

I never bothered in the end, simply placed the cells in a small plastic box with some fluffy packing material I had laying around, all good.

Latest posts

Back