Queen Cell Hatched but new queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tabby. Don't be put off by RAB- he's like that teacher at school who everyone complained about, but you realise afterwards taught you more than the matey ones.

I'm in the middle of queen cells at the moment, and every hive where I reduced the cells had secondary QC's on the next inspection- if there are eggs or young larvae they will do that. 5 days after the queens departure they have lost the chance, so you can pull down secondaries at that point knowing they can't build more. HOWEVER, you should now have a virgin in the hive who wants to be undisturbed. I would be tempted to go back in and pull down the ones you left (hopefully you marked the frames with drawing pins), then leave them alone for 2-3 weeks for the new queen to get mated and established.

Thanks. I did note the number of the frames with QC on my notes so I know which ones to pull out. Will do that and then be patient...ish

Check out Barnsley Beekeepers Association at barnsleybeekeepers.org.uk/demaree. Hope this link is useful and good luck!

This is our second season keeping bees. We did the course with our local beekeeping association a year before getting our first bees. I am always asking questions (and some of those questions might be very basic questions) of our experienced beekeepers in the association and here in this forum. One thing I have found is that you will get different answers for the same question from every beekeeper that you speak to. I ask questions, I read and I do searches on the internet when I want information. I think beekeeping is a craft where you are always learning even when you have been keeping bees for decades as the bees don't read the books and do what they want. I also think you learn by the mistakes that you make - I know that we certainly have - and I am sure that the experienced beekeepers made many mistakes themselves when they first started to keep bees. We need to be tolerant of each other as we are all still learning.

Back