Queen Banking

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite sure what you mean by a "Queen bank"

I currently have 4 queens in mini mating nucs (Apideas), they have all mated, eggs present, I will leave them there until the first brood is capped (8 or 9 days.) they will then either be used to re-queen or go into 5 frame nucs and kept as reserves by removing brood to stop them getting too crowded and swarming.

Hope this helps - if not more info required;)

As short a time as possible,but they will be fine for a couple of weeks,or even a little longer. Use cages with small mesh and a part of the cage where she can not be reached by the bee's....some queens may get damaged by the bee's,tarsi ect.

Last edited:
As short a time as possible,but they will be fine for a couple of weeks,or even a little longer. Use cages with small mesh and a part of the cage where she can not be reaced by the bee's....some queens may get damaged by the bee's,tarsi ect.

You have been quiet recently HM, those bees keeping you busy?

Just a bit Mark......just waiting for someone who is arriving to pick up a few nuc's.

Thanks for that PH - not come across that method before - still learning:biggrinjester:

Hurrah!!!
Thanks Polyhive. I was a little unsure how to use the Queen cage boxes. I was too cash strapped to buy the ready made frame with boxes so bought a few boxes and have adapted a frame. Crack on, crack on!

Back