Quantity of dribbled oxalic in a brood and half

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyspikey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We have several hives on a brood and a half and I as wondering if we needed to increase the recommended 5 ml per seam to 7.5, which seems logical. We don't intend to split the boxes either so will dribble down both boxes at once. Any comments?

Does sound logical - and I wish I had done the same on my brood and half. Finman once admitted to spilling a load over a hive, with no ill effect - so I would go for it.
Heather

Last edited:
We have several hives on a brood and a half and I as wondering if we needed to increase the recommended 5 ml per seam to 7.5

The real recommendation to one store hive is 4 ml/seam and 5 ml to 2-store hive.

Recommendation for maximum for 2-store Langstrotrh hive is 50 ml and to 1-store 40 ml.
If you give more, bees become too wet and cluster disperses.

You need not separate the stores. It works fine in one block.

This is EU-varroa group recomendation to Scandinavia:
http://bees.freesuperhost.com/cgi-b...ish;action=modify;message=0;thread=1136437131

Last edited:
For anyones imformation, the oxalic crystals sold by Thornes are 95% pure.

Hi
I treated a couple of hives last winter with oxalic solution; both were on a brood and a half nationals.
Using just 5ml a seam did the trick ok.
Rich

I would not use more than 5ml per seam how ever many boxes I had stacked, the trick is to judge the size of the cluster. I have one colony with a queen going into her third winter housed in a single WBC brood. Her winter cluster is not much bigger than a small melon, so I give 3ml per seam for the middle seams and 2ml for the two outer seams. The other hives get 5ml for the middle seams and 2 to 3ml on the outer seams.

Remember to use the mixture warm and trickle on a day when the temperature is above freezing. (or you may need a brass welder :))

When you open inner cover, it is impossible to quess from 2 box hive how where the cluster is and how much. Cluster is often in first box. When you drible the stuff, it will meet bees if they are there.

If you have a small colony, you should take extra space/combs off before feeding.

Latest posts

Back