Quality of bee equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turls2201

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2x national and 2x 14x12 plus a nucs
Hi All

As a new Beek, I have recently been purchasing lots of equipment, but have been appalled at the standard and quality of the kit. I know that there is a huge range in prices but some of the aspects I have found are just basic quality standards such as (i have not purchased any "seconds"):
1. parts that do not line up
2. parts that have been damaged as part of the "packaging"
3. delivery boxes too thin, and so parts and boxes have been damaged in transport
4. parts that have clearly been dropped
5. parts "from the manufacturing process" with scratches, marks and other manufacturing defects.
6. poorly packaged products
etc etc

As someone who has worked in manufacturing for over 35 years I find the lack of respect to standards for the customer and product amazing. I hear comments like "Well it does not affect the function" systematic of the suppliers. I agree, but a scratch on a brand new car does not affect function, but no one would take that.

I find the worse parts to be poly products - is this common? Do poly part often come with dents, scratches, marks etc. Is this part of have a poly hive?

The big consolation is that the retailer have been fantastic in their response and provided exchanges and refunds as required, though one very large direct supplier was very reluctant.

Are my standards too high. Am I just going to have to accept this poor quality.

Ian

Ian, sorry to hear you're having issues. I've not experienced that (2nd year beek here). I've gotten poly nucs from BSHoneybees and hives from Modenr Beekeeping and they were well packaged and undamaged. I also get a lot of stuff from Maisies because they are 4 miles away so I can pick up and packaging isn't an option. Quality is fine though even for a big batch of 2nds frame sI got in the last sale - only had one so far that was too dodgy to use.

I think you may be really unlucky or have a terrible postman/courier.

Ow well. End of year stock levels low maybe...

PS looking at the BS hives - any good?

Ian

I've never had a problem with any of the major bee equipment suppliers or STB on Ebay and ive bought from most.. if anything my complaint is that they are a bit over zealous with their packaging... although some are now moving to mostly recyclable materials rather the the polystyrene slugs that were a nightmare !

No, never had any issue with equipment quality, or stuff being damaged in transit, from Paynes, Thornes or Abelo

I have not had any problems with the main suppliers at all.

I think in general, as you start to beekeep your tolerance to the occasional little dent on a new poly hive etc is not really that bigger deal as once out in the field they will quickly become marked etc and are not really bought (WBC aside) for their cosmetic looks rather their fuction.

I have a friend who tried to return a Dyson vacume due to the flow mark in the plastic, said it was a cosmetic damage.
That sounds like me :-D
Agree I need to be more tolerant.

I order honey jars labels + Tamper labels from a reputable bee supplier and all of them where badly printed. Wonky and lack of ink. After I complained mor than a week ago I’m still waiting for the new labels to arrive. It was my first time ordering labels. A bit disappointed.

Ow well. End of year stock levels low maybe...

PS looking at the BS hives - any good?

Ian
The Nucs we got are excellent. Well designed, don't use the ability to split them in 2 x 3 frame hives, but we have got a couple of Maisemore Nuc bodies that fit on top so we can have them as 6 frames over 6.

Are my standards too high. Am I just going to have to accept this poor quality.
No, and no.

BS have a disclaimer on the website which refers to minor production marks (which can be filled with car body filler): Due to the soft properties of EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) and the steam moulding method used to create these products we must inform you that every box will have some sign of manufacturing marks, whether this be from ejecting from the tool onto the heavily padded conveyor belt or light marks from the core steam vents. These marks are unavoidable and will not impair use what so ever. Any product with moulding filling issues and severe deep markings are kept aside. Please do not expect 100% blemish free from a product of this nature, whilst we strive to give you the highest quality product available to achieve 100% perfect product in EPS would mean high wastage. Not only is this very bad for the environment it is not viable in business.

Cheaper wood can fit beautifully yet the more expensive can be truly awful, so ask for replacements: if a company isn't aware of faults it can't rectify production and if it is aware, it will realise that it can't get away with it.

One year I had several batches of 227 lids from Freeman & Harding: they didn't lock when turned. Collected about fifty or so and rang F&H, who had received no other complaints. I sent the lids back, they agreed that they were bad and presumably passed the news to the factory; hasn't happened again.

Maybe I received all the dodgy ones, but more likely that others just chucked them in the bin and forgot about it.

No, never had any issue with equipment quality, or stuff being damaged in transit, from Paynes, Thornes or Abelo
Had a few Abelos arrive broken (one of our members had similar experience recently) but Abelo are brilliant and when they see a photo of the damage, replace without quibble.

everything ive bought has been 2nds , no packaging handling or transport issues with any of it. and tbh the fit-up on most of them has been bang on, had to run the belt sander over 2 to make them better but that was it, but they were 2nds and i banged them together freehand with a nail gun

Or just a pickky sod! :ROFLMAO:
I don't think so you expect your equipment to be packaged in such away as its delivered in good condition.
I've had issues with some second equipment mainly boxes with some of the components cut the wrong size.
After all its down to human era and quality control who should deal with it.
But even then I've heard a few story's about scrimping and making up equipment because of shortages etc I won't get into it hear either.
As long as your happy in the end and are satisfied with your replacements?

No, and no.

BS have a disclaimer on the website which refers to minor production marks (which can be filled with car body filler): Due to the soft properties of EPS (Expanded Polystyrene) and the steam moulding method used to create these products we must inform you that every box will have some sign of manufacturing marks, whether this be from ejecting from the tool onto the heavily padded conveyor belt or light marks from the core steam vents. These marks are unavoidable and will not impair use what so ever. Any product with moulding filling issues and severe deep markings are kept aside. Please do not expect 100% blemish free from a product of this nature, whilst we strive to give you the highest quality product available to achieve 100% perfect product in EPS would mean high wastage. Not only is this very bad for the environment it is not viable in business.

Cheaper wood can fit beautifully yet the more expensive can be truly awful, so ask for replacements: if a company isn't aware of faults it can't rectify production and if it is aware, it will realise that it can't get away with it.

One year I had several batches of 227 lids from Freeman & Harding: they didn't lock when turned. Collected about fifty or so and rang F&H, who had received no other complaints. I sent the lids back, they agreed that they were bad and presumably passed the news to the factory; hasn't happened again.

Maybe I received all the dodgy ones, but more likely that others just chucked them in the bin and forgot about it.

I had some of those lids. I found there was a knack to get them to tighten so didn't bother the return.

Back