Q. Easy way of moving a BB from 12x14 to standard deep?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Seeking an easy way of moving from 12x14 to standard deep?

Hi all,

I have a couple of odd hives on 12x14 frames that I need to move to standard deep, is the best way to simply drop a new standard brood box on top and let the bees work their way up?

Also, when working on brood and a half, I assume the half goes on top? :) sounds silly but worth me checking that there are no good reasons for the other way around.

Cheers

Jez

Last edited:
try putting all the bees down into the empty frames below the full brood box and a queen excluder, or try
new brood box with an old 12 x 14 frame of eggs and queen and bees
queen excluder
super
super
old brood box
the girls dont like brood above food so after the lavey hatch everyone moves down stairs
or
cut bottom off frames

the reason why we have the super ontop , its because we have to lift the super off to do an inspection every time why lift a full brood box to leave the super on the base when you half the weight of the lift and only shift the super
but then why not get rid of the 22 frames to look through and buy a brood box big enough to take the complete brood so there for you only have to look through 11 frames not 22?

sorry but i realy hate double brood boxes they are so much like hard work i have never seen the point unless you are queen breeding or nuc building, but thats why i keep getting slaugthed for my opinion

I'm on 14x12 as I hated sorting through twenty plus frames. My bees are filling the frames edge to edge with brood so they do need the space and they wintered well on them Many beeks I know are using 14x12 or commercial hives- working through 11 frames make inspection much easier.

try putting all the bees down into the empty frames below the full brood box and a queen excluder, or try
new brood box with an old 12 x 14 frame of eggs and queen and bees
queen excluder
super
super
old brood box
the girls dont like brood above food so after the lavey hatch everyone moves down stairs
or
cut bottom off frames

the reason why we have the super ontop , its because we have to lift the super off to do an inspection every time why lift a full brood box to leave the super on the base when you half the weight of the lift and only shift the super
but then why not get rid of the 22 frames to look through and buy a brood box big enough to take the complete brood so there for you only have to look through 11 frames not 22?

sorry but i realy hate double brood boxes they are so much like hard work i have never seen the point unless you are queen breeding or nuc building, but thats why i keep getting slaugthed for my opinion

Thanks Pete,

Understand you points, I think for me the issue is that am running most hives on normal brood and a couple of 12x14 and this is an issue for me - cant just swap frames of brood or store etc etc. Anyway the easiest action is for me to standardise off the 12x14 frames - just how.

Still not sure on what to do to get out of this mess.

Jez

Latest posts

Back