Q & Answers the definition of a nucleus

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you prepared to name ad shame?
Does this person still sell Nuc's?
Mistake my .............

Regards;

The trick is to learn from the past and move on.

The important thing here is to know and to teach others what a decent nuc is and what to expect with out going in to so much detail it bogs it all down.

The old BS standard specified how much stores the nucs should have. Fine if they are going to be left alone but every treatise on bees states nucs should be FED. *shrugs*

PH

That was from us Easybee products! I still have the emails letters.

no time to exsplain later
all the best mike

Hi all

I would suggest any purchasing nucs contact there local RBI's who's numbers can be found on the web or most area association news letters.

You will find them a mine of info, and you may find they know some suppliers better than others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Ian

Sorry for the delay in replying
Hi Dorman thank you for mentioning this incident in 2006. I had to look it up on me records,
16/05.2006 order Mr [name and address removed at users request] (wrong address you said, and you posted it to the forum before telling me,)
I apologized for the nuc at the time and admit we did have verbal words over the two separate items that’s when I first become a member of the forum. SO you had better take the blame for all my rambling post. ANYWAY it was a mistake! You had your money refunded.
I shall hang my head in shame and be banished for ever.

When we eventually found out about it from the forum, the young beekeeper employed that helped to collect the nucs had the sack he had been with us at the start of the season in Feb 2006 he had previous warnings so he had to go.
I have asked myself how the hell a super frame got into the nucleus brood breeding box I don’t have a clue, we don’t have or use any BSN suppers this is still a mystery.

Remember we post out 100s of nucs a year.. It’s not like cutting a lump of wood and selling it.
A nucleus of Bees is a living family that has to be produced fed and managed for 6 months though the winter.
Things do and will go wrong that’s what this forum is all about
All the best mike

I think that is very honest of you Mike and I applaud that. I have to say in Mike's defence that the two Nucs I collected from him in 2006 were in very good condition and they prospered until my incompetence became apparent.
Mike is one of the very few who do supply Nucs to the general public and he got me going. In fact is there anyone else? you could do with some competition Mike.

I will add this freely.

I have no connection with Mike.

I have had business dealings with him and he honoured the agreement to the letter. Even though in fact he took a loss on the deal.

For the loan of my heather honey loosner he promised me two nucs and they were two of the bonniest nucs I have been privileged to own. Thanks Mike.

I have found him to be honest and trustworthy, and he now owes me a pint... ;)

Poly Hive

I also have nowt to do with Mike but well done that man on having the guts to own up to a mistake and well done for sorting it out :cheers2:

Does not matter what kind of buisness you are in,there will allways be mistakes, no matter how perfect you think you are,no one wishes for this but it unfortunately happens. I cannot see that Mike could of done more than he did in this case. And he should be comended for being so honest.
What i do not understand is why if you buy a nuc from a dealer you do not complain to them,in this case easybee products, why complain to a forum?
Seems a bit like buying something in tescos, and taking it into travis perkins to complain, and expect them to do something about it. really odd thing to do.

And what do you do if you are a beginner and do not know a good nuc from a bad, until you have built up the knowledge ? Is it worth complaining 6-12 months down the line ?

As its livestock should every one not be checked before shipping or being picked up ?

Just a thought.

Raise your own queens and then the only person to blame if something does go wrong with the queen is the breeder - you.
Save your money and learn how to raise queens and try to raise them with what is your priority in a colony of bees.
I find breeding or raising your own queens really satisfying.

Regards;

I agree with that Bcrazy, can't beat doing it yourself.

Andy,i don't believe there was a problem with the bee's,just a super comb in the nuc. and i would advise all new beekeepers to take,ask a more experianced beekeeper to go with them and check what they are buying.I have done this before and do not mind,and am sure there are many that will help new beekeepers,but no you should not have to as regards quality,but as allready stated these things do happen,and allways will.

Nope you can hardly complain 6 mths down the line. Buyer beware. Even if they exhibit disease is that the vendors fault or yours? Very hard to prove really.

I bought my first colony from the Sec of the Association and they were nasty wee things. I complained to him and was very neatly fobbed off. Such is life.

Poly

All in good time, i would love to have a go at raising my own Queens, and will eventually do this.
My job for next year is to learn to split and make increase that way.

Sweetums. i for one, am sure you will do just that,and am also sure you will get all the help and advice you need.

How can you complain 6 months down the line?

I would think one month is about the limit as after that how does the vendor know what daftness has been going on?

I once saw a hive where the brood had been "spread to push them on". Uhhuh

One comb at one end and 10 frames of foundation away the other one. It was only that they were in poly that saved them. Now how can you allow for such stupidity?

PH

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back