Pyrethroid and its misuse

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi All

In the past I got bees from a well known pest control firm, as they would drop off the swarm with a lady in Chepstow all you had to do was provide a brood box etc and they you would get a call to pick up the hive for £10.00 that was about 5 years ago.
I have had a look at the local pest control and in the statment about bees "we use pyrethroid insecticide to remove bees without harming them "
I could not see how they can say that as they surely would all be dead

Grub

Times are hard,a few pest control companies are now destroying swarms for the money rather than ringing a swarm collector.

They often say to the homeowner/farmer "They are covered in that mite" so cannot be saved as a beekeeper would not want them.

The public need to be made aware that beekeepers will still take them!!

I thought this was the sort of thing the BBKA were supposed to be doing?

A year or so ago I posted on the BBKA site that I had got my council to change their web site about swarms from "We're not bothered" to "Contact the local association" It took a few 'phone calls to do it but worthwhile.
Might be worth others to see what their own councils policy is and badger them to make it truly bee friendly.

don't forget that any bees that have been treated with fluvalinate are treated with a pyrethroid.

also, i believe the first use of fluvalinate was to spray the fields _before_ spraying the hard stuff...the idea was that the fluvalinate will confuse the bees in the field so that they do not return to the hive and contaminate it.

deknow

Latest posts

Back