Putting the clearer board above a super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It may be easier this year to put a super under the clearer board when I take the full supers off my hives. I'm sure I read a suggestion here that it's helpful if the new super is full of frames of foundation. Is that correct, or did I imagine it?

James

It may be easier this year to put a super under the clearer board when I take the full supers off my hives. I'm sure I read a suggestion here that it's helpful if the new super is full of frames of foundation. Is that correct, or did I imagine it?

James
Yes it’s useful it gives the bees some space and also creates a little more distance from the cluster over night.

Yes it’s useful it gives the bees some space and also creates a little more distance from the cluster over night.
But then what do you do with it when you treat shortly; an issue for me as I run big colonies on a single national BB, and always worry that cramming them down pre treatment is not the best thing to do. I mostly use Apilife Var, and it seems it doesn't taint wax, just honey so in theory you can leave the empty, or with winter stores, super on, but I feel a bit uncomfortable doing so.

But then what do you do with it when you treat shortly; an issue for me as I run big colonies on a single national BB, and always worry that cramming them down pre treatment is not the best thing to do. I mostly use Apilife Var, and it seems it doesn't taint wax, just honey so in theory you can leave the empty, or with winter stores, super on, but I feel a bit uncomfortable doing so.
I just suggested it helped with clearance at a later stage do what you need to do! I wouldn’t bother adding space for the sake of it, in my experience boxes packed with bees winter far better!

Apilife Var is thymol based so I wouldn't gamble on not tainting the wax. If the super remains on during the treatment. Just me being cautious.

Apilife Var is thymol based so I wouldn't gamble on not tainting the wax. If the super remains on during the treatment. Just me being cautious.
Apilife is thymol based Apilife Var is not.

Edit.... oooooops sorry wrong way round!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back