Putting Golden Mean Hive together

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBallard2021

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Good morning all!
I am new to beekeeping and have purchased a beehive. It arrived with no instructions or assembly directions and I wondered if I could post a picture and get thoughts on whether I’ve done this correctly.
The company I purchased it from makes great products, but never answers emails.
So, I’ll dive right in.
The top bars are passage bars that allow bees to move easily through the hive. Is there anything else that needs to go on these or will the bees really draw comb from the passage bars?

683C159C-94D3-4D2A-B5CD-D010B829EA16.jpeg

Attachments

• 88910C62-FDDC-4DF7-B1C1-C44D012481AC.jpeg
    88910C62-FDDC-4DF7-B1C1-C44D012481AC.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 1C2B07E3-07B5-43FD-9387-8979BD1B668C.jpeg
    1C2B07E3-07B5-43FD-9387-8979BD1B668C.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 54
Good morning all!
I am new to beekeeping and have purchased a beehive. It arrived with no instructions or assembly directions and I wondered if I could post a picture and get thoughts on whether I’ve done this correctly.
The company I purchased it from makes great products, but never answers emails.
So, I’ll dive right in.
The top bars are passage bars that allow bees to move easily through the hive. Is there anything else that needs to go on these or will the bees really draw comb from the passage bars?
It would help greatly if you could post pictures of this hive - and maybe links to their website as I doubt many would know what hive you're talking about

Here are the other two

Attachments

• 82FBBAAE-0E5E-4B79-97E0-33E7B6B276A3.jpeg
    82FBBAAE-0E5E-4B79-97E0-33E7B6B276A3.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 4BA12D64-7EAD-4E62-B20B-FCE29EB287EA.jpeg
    4BA12D64-7EAD-4E62-B20B-FCE29EB287EA.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
I thought to put it on a stand of a refurbished bedside table to hold the smoker, tools, etc. is there any logical, hygienic reason not to do this?

Those holes are totally superfluous to requirements, but never mind, they won't hurt.
Melt some beeswax and paint it over the pointed end of the chamfers.

As JBM says it is basically a Kenyan top bar hive , and yes the holes are superfluous, but looks like you have put it together right from the pictures. As a newcomer you really have jumped in at the deep end, as this type of hive can be more difficult to manage than a conventional framed hive. However I have learned an awful lot from running my three top bar hives, but most of my hives are Nationals. Some of us on here have top bars and can give advice and there are several specific sites on the net.
Have you thought how you are going to stock the hive with bees?
Hope you enjoy beekeeping.
These hives can get very heavy. Will a bedside table take the weight, and how stable will it be? I would not put mine on any of my bed side tables

I assume due to its name the hive is all based around the golden mean/ratio of 1.61...........

Although the 'golden means' stuff is just mumbo jumbo to sell the hive.
It might also help everyone if you know exactly in the world you are based.
The weather in Texas is a little bit different to here

I thought to put it on a stand of a refurbished bedside table to hold the smoker, tools, etc. is there any logical, hygienic reason not to do this?
If the stand can take the weight it might be fine, but I would prefer to store the smoker away from the hive so that I can light it and have it working before approaching the hive. Also, bees are sensitive to vibrations, so if you start opening and closing the stand underneath them, they might react to that.

One of the problems with a top bar is that the comb can easily be broken while doing inspections if you are not extremely careful with the honey at the top and then the pollen and the brood at the bottom.To covercome this problem I fitted a 'T' piece about 6" long in the centre of the bar to devide the bar into two triangles. Works a treat and no more broken comb! Priceless!

As JBM says it is basically a Kenyan top bar hive , and yes the holes are superfluous, but looks like you have put it together right from the pictures. As a newcomer you really have jumped in at the deep end, as this type of hive can be more difficult to manage than a conventional framed hive. However I have learned an awful lot from running my three top bar hives, but most of my hives are Nationals. Some of us on here have top bars and can give advice and there are several specific sites on the net.
Have you thought how you are going to stock the hive with bees?
Hope you enjoy beekeeping.
These hives can get very heavy. Will a bedside table take the weight, and how stable will it be? I would not put mine on any of my bed side tables

I have a beautiful wild beehive by the creek. I’ve passed it everyday—often multiple times a day. The bees are busy, docile and productive. I’d like to see if I can urge that hive to split. Hence, the new hive.

Attachments

• B09616D8-0CAE-4723-B048-17F4F6B1965D.jpeg
    B09616D8-0CAE-4723-B048-17F4F6B1965D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
Putting a new hive out will not urge that colony to split they’ll do that naturally on their own. If you need to move your long hive after you’ll need a friend or consider a purpose made bait hive that you could first capture the swarm, and then move to a new location. You may also be able to put a bait hive in better positions ie height and perhaps a more favourable size. Ian

One of the problems with a top bar is that the comb can easily be broken while doing inspections if you are not extremely careful with the honey at the top and then the pollen and the brood at the bottom.To covercome this problem I fitted a 'T' piece about 6" long in the centre of the bar to devide the bar into two triangles. Works a treat and no more broken comb! Priceless!
I wouldn't call my self extremely careful.
If you turn a bar end over end the comb shouldn't break.
1615810949426.png

Attachments

• 1615810929601.png
    1615810929601.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
I don't have top bar hives but I do use foundationless and appreciate the simple solution of a "T" piece, nifty idea.

Latest posts

Back