Purchase of hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Can anyone help?

Still a beginner here but just joined a local group and have a friend who is helping out.

I would like to purchase another national hive.
Included should be brood box, two supers, frames and foundation
Any recommendations on where to purchase one?

What are the best sites/stores?

Looking also to puchase to mesh floors.

Any advice appreciated.

Chris G

There is a person on here called Hivemaker. Very good I am told.

Personally I would advise the Poly route but then I would eh?

I would advise though that you up your supers number to three. It is one of those awkward facts of beekeeping that you cannot have too many supers. ;0

PH

Hi Chris
Where did you get yr first hive? Unsatisfied with their service? Do u want wood/poly, cedar/ply, best/cheapest, all from one supplier or willing to mix and match for best option to suit u? Ready made or flatpack etc?
Could be u'll just have to do the homework? And when u find the holy grail (the perfect setup) do tell the rest of us!
Eb

if you have wooden hives then keep with them until you are ready for other ideas. I would agree with poly, i had a hive with 8 supers this year, you can never have enough supers.. paynes have a sale on at the mo if you are happy with seconds( thats all i use) or you could make own or buy firsts. i feel OMF are essential.
Ive heard hivemaker makes great hives along with tom bick.
hope that helps

i buy my hive from tom bick as his are high quality and recomneded them to those i mentor but if you want a "second quality! hive then try Th**nes bees on a budget hive for £125 including frames about 8wks wait for them though

Last edited:
MM,

8wks wait for them

With the present weather pattern, I think there may still be time to assemble before needed!

Regards, RAB

My neighbour has a bees on a budget hive, it is perfectly serviceable and comes with everything, ideal for a first or second hive.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I would recommend Hivemaker too, the quality of his hives is very high and he can supply all yur requirements.

i buy my hive from tom bick as his are high quality and recomneded them to those i mentor but if you want a "second quality! hive then try Th**nes bees on a budget hive for £125 including frames about 8wks wait for them though
I would say that for a starter these package deals are probably the best way to go.

If you build your own hive you still have to get all the other bits and that means more postage costs....

I think that the company in question is still advertising these kits on ebay but not sure if they are quoting a delivery time....

I just had a quick look on Tom's website and the bit about glueing and clamping caught my attention.

I agree with Tom re the much better product if cramped and glued properly. If one does not have the kit to assemble to such a high standard, the small premium paid for the complete hive is soon recouped. IMO. Not seen one of either Tom Bick's or Hivemaker's but I would be pleased to have a hive made by either (I make my own parts, whenever it is a better option).

Regards, RAB

The eight week waiting is only during high season, at this time of the year they can suppy as per any other item. I checked with them, they said to me, if you check the item online, the eight week wait has been removed from the description.

Brian.

I just had a quick look on Tom's website and the bit about glueing and clamping caught my attention.

I agree with Tom re the much better product if cramped and glued properly. If one does not have the kit to assemble to such a high standard, the small premium paid for the complete hive is soon recouped. IMO. Not seen one of either Tom Bick's or Hivemaker's but I would be pleased to have a hive made by either (I make my own parts, whenever it is a better option).

Regards, RAB

I have used Tom Bick a couple of times for hives including a custom hive. The only downside to Tom's products is that it makes everything else around it look shabby by comparison.

Also, if you are going to mix hives from different sources, watch out for the entrance blocks as some are not interchangeable. I have seen three different sizes with a variation in width/height or length .

Last edited:
I'm pondering buying some more nationals but will wait to evaluate a new polyhive due out soon. If I go the poly route it must be interchangeable with wooden hive supers etc.

Looking on the net I see Cheshire Hives and Caddon Hives (Scotland) both seem competitive although I have no experience of either.

PeterS,

interchangeable

If the polyhive is from MBS, it will be, I believe. Apart from being top bee space. I would think it could either be used with bottom bee space supers or easily be modified(?) to bottom bee space. The BKS is bottom space but of larger footprint as it can contain the same number of frames as a BS National (not one less, as per the MBS one).

The MBS version may be a bit too tight on a comercial box without slight alteration, but I do't know and that will not affect me.

Regards, RAB

If a poly of any known type, ie Nat or Lang, is NOT compatible with others of the same ilk, whether brood or supers they are rubbish.

PH

You gets wot you pays for with hives: the chief difference with a more expensive hive is simply that it will last longer. Budget ones are usually quite serviceable for a while, but often don't have either such good wood or such good build quality, as you might expect. Consequently they tend to fall apart more quickly.

Personally I either make hives or get them from Maisemore Apiaries, who have a nice workshop very near to where I live. They're not the most expensive ever, but are definitely not the cheapest. However, they use good quality cedar wood and excellent build quality. They also supply parts for quite a wide range of hive types in addition to Nationals. Their "seconds" don't have such good quality wood but actually seem quite OK as far as I can tell.

The smell of the wood as you walk past their workshop and warehouse is very reassuring, as is the row of their own hives ranked alongside the warehouse with the bees busily to-ing and fro-ing!

Just made up my fifth Thornes budget National flatpack ( 2 for a friend), and several bits and pieces from their sale of seconds.

I think they are really good value, and the assembly instructions are now excellent. You can either just bung them together, or take a bit of time sanding and planing, use screws rather than their nails etc. I finish them off with old style cuprinol clear.

All wood sound, did not have to use any filler this year.

Easy to build. Very happy. Made my Xmas being able to be in my shed all day today, with the smell of that wood.

Here's a link to a Yorkshire builder I like: http://yorkshirebeehives.co.uk/default.aspx

I belive the website owner and maker of the hives is also on this forum.

I have seen his work and TBH it is to good to used as a hive...more a piece of furniture.

A propper craftsman, and very good price for pre-built hives.

I would recomend.

But I also can not fault Thornes seconds, and even if there was a 8 or 16 week wait, at this time of year it is not an issue.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back