pupal expulsion (cross posted)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drstitson

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Am now in 2nd week of apilifevar treatment. found three late worker pupae being tossed out - one last night, two this morning - still alive. any ideas?

My first uneducated guess would be Chronic Bee-paralysis as the abdomen seems to be stunted . I can not make out the wings from the angle the bees are placed at.
Just had another good look and on the centre bee its wing is completly rolled tightly up also its missing the lower part of her legs.

Mo

Last edited:
Mo,anything you could look into if a sample was sent to you ?

Deformed Wing Virus - spead by Varroa.

admin

just like to point out that no matter how interested i am in an accurate diagnosis (if any needed) is that i am not going to import diseased material into the UK from Italy!!!!

Dwv

so if it is deformed wing virus is there anything that needs doing? or just hope a decent varroa clearance pre winter will set things up ok for spring?

Are those long pointed things hanging down from their heads tongues? Or whatever the bee version of a tongue is lol. Very interesting pictures. Do bees all have rolled up wings while forming, or is that part of the DWV? You can clearly see they are all out of proportion. Very interesting, thanks for posting. Us new beeks can learn a lot from pics like this. It shows us what to look out for.

Hi Admin,

Mo,anything you could look into if a sample was sent to you ?

I wish i could be of more help but I have had no formal training in Pathology of the Honey Bee. All I could do is to check for Nosema and Acarine. And of course the AFB EFB.
My conclusion was purley one of knowledge gained from the NDB courses that I have attended.
I wonder if Rothhamstead need a washer up of tea cups in their laboratory?

Sorry admin I can not bee of much help in this instance.

And there I was all ready to bee acclaimed the saviuor of the honey bee. OH well back to the drawing board.

Mo

Maybe the forum should hatch a cunning plan....

Afterall you are our forum microscopist! We benefit from you testing our bees for disease and honey samples for pollen content.

Perhaps if you wanted to identify a course that would make you even better at what you do the forum could sponsor you... we could do this like we did to cover admin's costs of running the forum.

Perhaps if you wanted to identify a course that would make you even better at what you do the forum could sponsor you...

Wow you have knocked me on my ar## with that statement.

That is a very generous and thoughtful proposition but I must say Thank you but I can not accept the proposition as to ask members to sponser me is out of the question in my book.
Polyanwood I know you mean well and I thank you for the wounderful offer.
To be honest I do not know of a college or education site that does Honey bee pathology except Rothamstead.

Mo

Latest posts

Back