Punished harshly for a school boy mistake.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vergilius

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
6ish
Dear All,

Today a seemingly easy task of removing the feeder turned horribly wrong. The mistake happened as I was preparing myself for the task. I casually suited-up, put my gloves on, picked up hive tool and bee-brush (for brushing off bees trapped in between roof and CB) and approached the hive.

Lifting off the roof drew only a couple of curious bees to me and I lazily cracked off the feeder with the hive tool. Although I had remembered to bring them to the hive my two blocks of wood (for blocking up the feed hole after removing the feeder) had vanished amongst the long grass surrounding the hive. Big mistake. Bees were now pouring through the feed-hole, angrily checking out who had disturbed them on a chilly October Sunday morning.

Eventually, I find my blocks and manage to scramble them over the feed hole, shove the eke on, put the roof on top of it and make a quick get away.

However, it was now that I was severly punished by the girls for my lacksadaisal preparation. It turned out that whilst suiting-up I had forgotten to velcro together my the small gap in between the zip that keeps together veil and suit. So, as I walked away I had the particularly nasty feeling of bee on face and then the even nastier feeling of bee inserting sting into face.

OUCH.

Ben P

bad luck , carelessness or bad bees ? I've been hefting mine and feeding the light ones with no gloves and a veil loosely thrown over my head ( just in case) with hardly a bee coming at me

i'd have left the eke on whilst removing feeder and just bunged the roof back on until i could find the wood blocks.

Its always ( IMHO ) a good idea to have your smoker lit, then if they start coming up/out at you a quick puff will usually send them scuttling back down . You could also have left the blocks off untill next time - their not really necessary.
Hope you didnt have too bad a reaction

I am new this year, are you saying that when the feeder comes off I have to put blocks over the crown board holes?

Yes Kronkie - as soon as all feeding is finished block up all holes in the crown board and put insulation over the top of it before replacing the roof.

Thanks Heather, what kind of insulation do you use? is loft insulation ok.

stings

hi there , ihad the same thing happen to me on friday the bees were bringing a lot of pollon and i saw few wasps around so i decided to replace the entance hole with a smaller one , like an ***** i did not have my suit on as i thought they are to busy to bother with me , how wrong i was i got stung twice one on my cocanut and the other on my eye brow , next day my face was like a balloon, my kids called me the elephant man. never take things for granted thats my new motto.:banghead:

Some use the big poly slabs that have insulated a parcel e.g. tv in transit. Some use the bubble wrap from same source. I use 'cover board' size layers of cut offs from a swimming pool insulation cover. Loft insulation is fine but I would put it into a pillow case or similar before putting in the hive - for your own health and wear gloves whilst doing so.

Winter rules- in my book...
Remove the inspection board to allow ventilation. (shouldn't be there now anyway)
Cover all cover board openings.
Insulate the brood box (or super above if you have left it on)
Ensure NO queen excluders in place!!!
If the hive is in the path of an easterly wind put a barrier (wooden box weighted down, pile of bricks etc ) about 10' in front to stop any direct blast of cold front hitting the entrance.
Heft the hive monthly during the winter and if feeling light-wait for a calm no wind day= open the hive, slide in a slab of paste feed next frame to the bees and close up quickly
Otherwise, leave them alone- go read a good bee keeping book

B & Q insulation

I bought a roll of bubble wrap insulation with silver reflective sheeting from my local B & Q for £6.99. I intend to cut pieces to size and put on top of my crownboards. The roll is enough for many hives.

Ben, years ago I opened a hive for first Spring inspection, within minutes there were bees settling on my nose.....I'd washed the beejacket overwinter and the waist elastic had gone, even being very careful in stepping away and unzipping the hood to let them out I still got half a dozen stings! Since then I always check - and always have a smoker going when opening the hive; just in case.

ps - and tuck your trousers in your socks!

Why do people not use the smoker before going into the hive its the first thing I was taught.

I think it is easy to think...'I am only going to do...' and that they will let you...then they don't - and you remember the rule about kit and smoker!:(

Latest posts

Back