Provap 220 vs Sublimox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry_Mob

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
30+
Anyone any experience of both? Can get the Sublimox for under £300 from Romania; just wondering if the provap is worth the extra expense?

received_936792450013665_resize_75.jpg

Received this today from Romania which is perfect timing as its 5 days since my last round of treatment.

Cost with the spare cap, o rings and delivery was less than UK retailers.

Sublimox endorsement

Got my Sublimox from Romania almost exactly a year ago: https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43079&highlight=sublimox&page=4

Very solidly, well engineered, robust bit of kit. I have no personal experience of the Provap, but can vouch that the Sublimox has an ingenious and sophisticated temperature control system based on a predictive feedback loop, whereas the Provap apparently has a digital read out. Sublimox is marginally more powerful (300W vs 250W)

Completed my third vape (at five day intervals) of my hives yesterday. One remains recalitrant and still giving a big drop so will give it another go next Monday

So what are you guys connecting the power to

I use a 12v -> 240v inverter plugged into my car. Then a long extension lead from that to power the sublimox.

I use a mini generator.

Used the gas vap and gave up after 4 hives.

These are built to last and are rock solid.

Got my Sublimox from Romania almost exactly a year ago: https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43079&highlight=sublimox&page=4

Very solidly, well engineered, robust bit of kit. I have no personal experience of the Provap, but can vouch that the Sublimox has an ingenious and sophisticated temperature control system based on a predictive feedback loop, whereas the Provap apparently has a digital read out. Sublimox is marginally more powerful (300W vs 250W)

Completed my third vape (at five day intervals) of my hives yesterday. One remains recalitrant and still giving a big drop so will give it another go next Monday

Did a fourth vape tonight just for testing, only intended to try the main hives but given how quick it was I raced through the nucs as well. Seems really solid made and the nylon cup is fantastic, no burnt fingers. Glad I got the spare cartridge as that speeds things up as well

Few reasons I went for the Sublimox over the Provap however, most obvious was price. Its tried and tested first of all, quite a few people already have them for a number of years and has proved successful. The other reason is the availability of spare parts like the nylon cup and o rings, I dont think they sell spares for the Provap and finally I think the gauge is just something that will go wrong eventually on the Provap.

So what are you guys connecting the power to

Fortunately I have a plug within cable extension reach away. Most convenient if you have one accessible.

I use a mini generator.

Used the gas vap and gave up after 4 hives.

These are built to last and are rock solid.

I have the gas vap as well, I think its adequate for the beek with a couple of hives but anything more then this is worth the extra investment.

Got a type or link pls

https://www.prisacadobrogea.ro/cump...italian-sublimator-pentru-acid-oxalic-7344086

What went wrong with the gas-vap?

No. I had/have 5 canisters waiting and ready!

Didnt like the gas vap for a few reasons.

1. After a few hives everything thing was so hot it made the copper very malleable around the shield.

2. The heat made it very difficult to handle it in anything other than welders gloves which became cumbersome.

3. The torches are unreliable and were often misfiring.

4. It was difficult to stay put in the holes and came closer to the poly which in some places melted a bit.

Dont get me wrong. I really wanted to like it its super portable but I just dont think its very reliable when you using it 100 times in a row.

No. I had/have 5 canisters waiting and ready!

Didnt like the gas vap for a few reasons.

1. After a few hives everything thing was so hot it made the copper very malleable around the shield.

2. The heat made it very difficult to handle it in anything other than welders gloves which became cumbersome.

3. The torches are unreliable and were often misfiring.

4. It was difficult to stay put in the holes and came closer to the poly which in some places melted a bit.

Dont get me wrong. I really wanted to like it its super portable but I just dont think its very reliable when you using it 100 times in a row.

Did you have it on absolute minimum? I use pliers to remove cap and 4 caps which are nearly cold when I come to add the acid.

I agree the weak link are the torches, I have ruined one already but again that was to do with running too hot.

I treated 200 colonies in just over 2 hours with the gasvap, something I could never do with my sublimox, I still use both but my gasvap is always in my box.

Did you have it on absolute minimum? I use pliers to remove cap and 4 caps which are nearly cold when I come to add the acid.

I agree the weak link are the torches, I have ruined one already but again that was to do with running too hot.

I treated 200 colonies in just over 2 hours with the gasvap, something I could never do with my sublimox, I still use both but my gasvap is always in my box.
Probably about midway! I just got fed up with it when the torch broke.

Ah now I do my 100 colonies in 1 hour. I dont see much time savings with the gasvap.

What I did like was that there were no cables and no generator to carry around.

Why is the gasvap so much quicker for you?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I found the sublimox significantly quicker than the gas vap but them it may be that the torch I have is the weakest link. Gas vap does warm up a lot quicker so maybe better for one or two hives; it still it has its place in my kit though.

I found the sublimox significantly quicker than the gas vap but them it may be that the torch I have is the weakest link. Gas vap does warm up a lot quicker so maybe better for one or two hives; it still it has its place in my kit though.
Yeah it's still in my box. If I can find a torch that doesnt break, it's great for one off vapes in season.

Like yourself I like the GasVap for occasional one off's in an apiary. Otherwise too many problems like too hot, need welders gloves, no legal safety certification for use etc.
One problem I have with it is that it seems to sublimate the OA very very quickly when hot (creating an almost invisible cloud of sublimated OA) and I've no idea of how efficient this is for knocking down varroa vs Sublimox with it's 30 seconds per hive rate and nice "white cloud" of sublimated OA.

Last edited:
Does the Pro.Vap need a 60 cycle AC supply?
Sublimox uses 220V AV.
I use a generator and a cable reel extension... have used the Defender battery hooked up to a 12V to 220 V ac 50 cycle converter... but that need maneuvering the Defender into position, and almost impossible in some of my Cornish apiary sites!

Really the US device is a sublimation device... but who cares as long as it does the job required?

Chons da

I think the main difference as far as most are concerned is one (Gasvap) is £30 the others are £300+ and need a gennie or battery to lug around.
If the Gasvap is getting too hot , why not have a spare to alternate between vapes or is that a simplistic remedy?
S

I think the main difference as far as most are concerned is one (Gasvap) is £30 the others are £300+ and need a gennie or battery to lug around.

If the Gasvap is getting too hot , why not have a spare to alternate between vapes or is that a simplistic remedy?

S
It's more than that for me. it's the reliability of the unit and the torches.

The sublimox just works.

I really wanted the gasvap to work for me as it's got so many benefits but it all comes down to reliability for me

Latest posts

Back