Protective Suits - recommendations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosti

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Probably none of us have had the opportunity to test drive all the different types of suits and style of veil/hood available.

Back in the heady days of May when I was adopted by a swarm (un-planned) I had to quickly get hold of gear. An ex-demo all-in-one suit from Fragile Planet at reduced price was what I got at short notice. I suspect it may have been tugged about a bit as people checked it's quality at shows. Not necessarily a reflection on the suit but the result is that having put it through the wash one seam has failed. It's been patched but will become the 'interested visitors' suit.

I hope this doesn't breach the 'no advertising' rule? - Mark?

My questions:

"What suit do you wear? Having used it for a period would you still have bought it? What veil / hood format do you favour? Suit colour favoured - non-white seems rather more practical? Of the suits on the market (with things like vent pads etc) what would you buy now?"

Father Christmas is waiting with baited breath for your recommendations. Tx Rosti

Hi Rosti,
I live about 10 mins away from FP , so it was the first place i looked for equipment, personaly i was not impressed with the quality of any of thier stuff. (apart from the gauntlets which i bought).
I then found a company on the net called bee basic and bought one of their Astronought style suits (Biscuit colour) it was about £10 dearer then FP but theere is an amazing difference in quality.
it has only been used once when i went and joined a local beek on inspection but i feel comfortable in it and safe! and i am sure it will last many years!!
Take a look, the one in the photo i believe is Olive colour.
I also left a review on thier site (Ian Ollerenshaw)

http://www.beebasic.co.uk/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

Last edited:
Beadons get in touch with them and complain! Most are only too happy to sort out complaints.

I for one wish now I hadnt bought a white suit. I would go for any colour except white. I have got the astronaught type and find it great.

Order one a size bigger than you would normally wear,a loose fitting suit i find is better.

Last edited:
I bought one of these in green

http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store/BB1-All-In-One-Full-Suit-p-16496.html

and it's brilliant :)

One piece suite is easy to get on
The whole suit folds into the hood/vail.
Got more pockets than I know what to do with.
Easy to wash.
Coolish in summer.
Lightweight.
I've had a bee try to sting me, but the sting remained in the suit and didn't get to me........I wear only shorts under it in the summer.

I have a round vail type as well, and I definitely prefer this fencing hood type.

So to summarise...................I'm quite keen on it :cheers2:

Yours Roy

I've got a BBwear top in green, bought to replace a rubbish boilersuit and seperate veil (don't go there - the bees know the ways in), that's good, it has a fencing type veil. Then I was given an all-in-one Sherriff suit in white, also good. I tend to use the all-in-one in the summer when dealing with brimming hives and the top for now, feeding, checking etc. Probably wouldn't have picked white if I'd been buying but you know all about gift horses......material in both are good quality, plenty of pockets and the all in one is very roomy.

Frisbee

I bought a Bee-Basic astronaut type. There was too much material in the leg length so I had it shortened, after washing it shrunk dramatically so I have to wear boots now to keep it tucked in. The arms are short in length with loads of baggyness under the arms. The hood is great with loads of space in it so keeping you at a safe distance from the veil. The only drawback I find is your head has no protection from the sun so I have to wear a hat as well. On reflection I wish I'd tried a few different types/makes before spending my hard earned cash.

I have a bbwear smock and a bee basic all in one. the bbwear ones are far higher quality and i would purchase them again. the bee basic one isnt particularly good, in that features like reinforced and waterproofed knee parts arent present, the back of the head part is flat, so doesnt fit greatly etc etc. I would be reluctant to go to them again, jsut to save a few quid over bbwear.

I looked at the Sheriff ones when i thought that i would treat myself but i couldnt justify it over the competition- just far too much money.

I bought a Bee-Basic astronaut type. There was too much material in the leg length so I had it shortened, after washing it shrunk dramatically so I have to wear boots now to keep it tucked in. The arms are short in length with loads of baggyness under the arms. The hood is great with loads of space in it so keeping you at a safe distance from the veil. The only drawback I find is your head has no protection from the sun so I have to wear a hat as well. On reflection I wish I'd tried a few different types/makes before spending my hard earned cash.

I agree that the arms are very baggy, and the proportions seem wrong- again, legs are way too long because i wanted a suit that was baggy on the chest. The hood on mine is too big, so that it doesnt catch the velcro to hold the mesh away from my face.

I also have a Bee-Basic astronaut type.
I paid the little extra and got the nylon parachute type material.

The 2 downsides I have found with mine are:

The thinner material sticks to the skin when its very hot giving the bees a nice solid area to attack,I would buy the cotton next time as the cooler material sticks to the skin when wet.

If I am moving between fields in the car with the hood down I find the hood bends between your back and the car seat,so when you pull the hood backon it is very close to your head/ears.

I have had no problem with putting it in a 30c wash dozens of times,I dont bother to remove the hood,it all goes in and has never shrunk.

Our local association has BB wear suits and I had the opportunity to try on different sizes.

I bought the green boiler suit type with astronaut style hood in polycotton.

I rate it it very highly.

It's been washed nearly every week (inc hood) and looks as good as new.

I also have used a Thornes white jacket/veil but didn't like the hood.

Last edited:
Last weekend I bought an all in one fencing style suit:

http://www.bees-online.co.uk/view.asp?ID=823

They are on offer from £79 down to £47.50. Bought the ventilated gloves as well.

I went down there to get fitted up etc.

I may not know any better, but seems ok!

Nick

I have a smock-with-attached-veil thing.... and I hate it! It rides up at the back leaving plenty exposed skin, so you end up needing to belt it, but unless you cinch the belt really tightly it still comes untucked when I bend over. Tucking it into trousers is OK, so long as you don't bend over too much! I'm fairly tall (6ft), but not ludicrously so.

I bought a Bee-Basic astronaut type. There was too much material in the leg length so I had it shortened, after washing it shrunk dramatically.

I'm surprised it shrunk. Mine has been washed half a dozen times as per the sew in washing instructions and is still as baggy as it always was.

Their newer suits also fix one of the design flaws that allowed bees access to the inside.

sit in awe you lot i was propery trained by my mum and i mean properly and before the offers come flooding in sorry ladies i am married and happily so , so she tells me

by the time all my family wre 15 we all had to be able to sew and not just buttons but the shirt to put them on first i can also tailer dresses aswell
a very very good cook with a flare for never using recipes properly
i cant knitt but mum forgave me this when i used to do a deal with her she did the washing machine bit and i did all the ironing for her.

and lastly and most importantly for a lady i never ever leave the seat up. mum was good at potty training,
and yes he can use a sewing machine and video recorder but why would i want frills sewn on to me camera?????

Latest posts

Back