Protecting Bees from predators

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

understanding_bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
I am aware that there are different kinds of bee predators in different countries.

Just now I would like to ask advice on what kinds of measures have been helpful in protecting honey bees from birds which eat them. I know that there are birds in Africa which are called “Bee Eaters”, and I do not know what other kinds of birds have similar interests in bees.

In Australia we have a native bird called a Butcher bird. They say that this bird is aptly named, because of its killing skills. This can be a problem for beekeepers, because these birds seem to be skilled in the art of catching flying bees. This whole scenario is also affected by the law which says that Australian native birds are protected species.

I observed my “resident” bird today, as it made repeated passes over bees which were making their orientation flights. It seems that each time the bird swooped on the bees, that it was successful in catching a bee. What methods are known of, which may be successful in scaring the bird away, or in limiting its “success rate”?

In the U.K. we are lucky enough not to have any birds that cause serious issues and certainly don’t begrudge a level of natural predation. Some have suggested swifts or swallows can or have taken queens on mating flights but that’s about it. The only bird that I find causes me grief are woodpeckers and even that’s limited normally to minor box damage, certainly never lost one. I did on 1 occasion have a poly hive that resembled Swiss cheese, as to your pesky birds sweeping attacks. Maybe some obstructions around the entrances even just some sticks in the ground a few feet from hive entrances.

I observed my “resident” bird today, as it made repeated passes over bees which were making their orientation flights. It seems that each time the bird swooped on the bees, that it was successful in catching a bee. What methods are known of, which may be successful in scaring the bird away, or in limiting its “success rate”?

BEST METHOD HERE IS DOUBLE BROOD BOX..... ;)
Par for the course mate.... Nature doing what it does best - cleaning up behind us.... Only the strongest and smartest survive....

My opinion, a couple here and there make no difference. We have several species here that feed on bees.... No concerns.... Food chain payment !
Live and let live....

Best I can give you......

These birds are well adapted to city living and what beautiful song!

We have the biggest honeyeater in the world in Tassie (the Yellow Wattlebird) and I saw one gobbling some bees once and thought "I hope that doesn't continue". Luckily it didn't. I reckon that the birds "know" to vary their diet too even though it feeds mainly on insects. Also, this year I've hardly seen any wattlebirds at all...so I would say whilst I unfortunately have no solution to offer, the bird will probably move on after a while to vary it's diet and go to other areas for mating or simply move on in it's general nomadic way. Well that's the theory anyhow!

Latest posts

Back