Pros and cons of storing in buckets vs jarring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for everyone’s advice. Makes complete sense. This spring I’ve been using larger rectangular buckets with a valve built in and jarring up from these. Will hold about 45lb so a bit heavy, but like the built in valve. Smaller buckets will be easier to lift and store. What temperature do you all store them in?

Thanks, my warming drawer is too narrow. I have a microwave steam oven that has a ‘decrystallising honey’ special steam program function at 60C (German). A bucket would fit. Don’t tell @jenkinsbrynmair
😱
That’s probably more than my whole kitchen cost
Joking apart I wouldn’t be happy taking my honey to 60 degrees. I presume this wonderful appliance will heat at a lower temperature?

😱
That’s probably more than my whole kitchen cost
Joking apart I wouldn’t be happy taking my honey to 60 degrees. I presume this wonderful appliance will heat at a lower temperature?
Hi yes think can set to 50C & I seem to remember it ties in with the Sheffield temperature honey advice & have set it to this before rather than the automatic program. Here’s the section in the book. I plunge the jars in cold water afterwards. Bought for steaming and blanching all the veg we grow and eat & like the fact it’s combined with a microwave. Probably the cost of a Sublimox and a good electric extractor!

Attachments

• 58D4EF34-6D5A-4140-B22E-DD8C075729FB.jpeg
    58D4EF34-6D5A-4140-B22E-DD8C075729FB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Hi yes think can set to 50C & I seem to remember it ties in with the Sheffield temperature honey advice & have set it to this before rather than the automatic program. Here’s the section in the book. I plunge the jars in cold water afterwards. Bought for steaming and blanching all the veg we grow and eat & like the fact it’s combined with a microwave. Probably the cost of a Sublimox and a good electric extractor!
Yes I’m ploughing through kilos of stuff.
I love growing veg but at times I wish I didn’t

The max I ever go to is 42c with honey for a quick liquefy other wise 38 -40 for a few days.

One bucket of fermenting honey is far better/easier to deal with than 30 (or more) jars, if you are one of those that spins out unripe honey.

May be a stupid question, but if you have no warming cabinet (or drawer) how do you re liquify granulated honey in plastic buckets?

Cheap thermometer off eBay. Put bucket in oven on lowest setting. Adjust until thermometer consistently in the 35-40C region. Leave overnight. I've not needed to go warmer and doing so can denature any protein that might be present.

My practice:
Extract via colander and then through fine sieve upon the settling tank. Run 3/4 of the crop into 30 lb buckets. The remaining quarter: leave a few hours to settle then jar. Put the jars in the oven at 52C for an hour = honey that will stay runny for several weeks.
As per gmonag, my customers buy soft-set/runny 3/1 approx.

My customers get what the bees give me. It all goes into buckets so I can gauge what it will do. My spring crop was not heat treated and is still crystal clear, so that is what they are getting. They are usually ok about it when I explain that to set it would entail processing it - use of that word puts them off.

I always store direct after sieving into 30lb buckets. If they start to granulate of solidify then they can be gently warmed in a preserving pot. I have a Kochstar Warm-Master that I bought a few years ago that takes a round 30lb bucket. It has temperature settings and a timer so you can control the warming process. I use different settings for clear and soft set honey. Particularly useful for warming OSR honey to make soft set. Available at around £100 but frequently less expensive at Lidl. It is also useful for treating jars that are granulating - just plunge into very cold water after warming to stop further granulation.

My customers get what the bees give me. It all goes into buckets so I can gauge what it will do. My spring crop was not heat treated and is still crystal clear, so that is what they are getting. They are usually ok about it when I explain that to set it would entail processing it - use of that word puts them off.

We're only 35 miles away from each other Drex but my spring honey always sets solid in the buckets within a few days of extracting. Presumably your girls are not within reach of OSR?

First year ever no OSR within range. This years Spring honey was the best I have ever had from my bees. The local farmer has also grown a vetch for the first time, and after posts on here, it will be interesting to see what I get in my Autumn crop.

I always store direct after sieving into 30lb buckets. If they start to granulate of solidify then they can be gently warmed in a preserving pot. I have a Kochstar Warm-Master that I bought a few years ago that takes a round 30lb bucket. It has temperature settings and a timer so you can control the warming process. I use different settings for clear and soft set honey. Particularly useful for warming OSR honey to make soft set. Available at around £100 but frequently less expensive at Lidl. It is also useful for treating jars that are granulating - just plunge into very cold water after warming to stop further granulation.

What temperature do you warm to and how long do you leave the jars in the 'very cold water'? A few warm jars, maybe @ 35C, will take quite a time to cool and meanwhile they are warming the water so that it's no longer very cold? It's difficult to imagine quite why it works.

I heat in a water bath at 55c for 45 minutes with lids on tight then place into iced water until the jars are cold. It may be necessary to replenish the ice from time to time.

First year ever no OSR within range. This years Spring honey was the best I have ever had from my bees. The local farmer has also grown a vetch for the first time, and after posts on here, it will be interesting to see what I get in my Autumn crop.
Milky vetch like this @drex .

IMG_20210707_155340.jpg
The honey is much the same as clover honey.

If my customers want set honey they get soft set. I hate the way the honey looks as it starts granulating in the jar and the coarse texture is unpleasant. That’s my reason.

we are in a similar position...most find frosting off putting but some much prefer as shows no warming etc....we are now thinking of keeping some in jars and having some warmed and runny

if you want to warm a frosted jar however, should you remove/loosen lid or can you do this with lid on?

we are in a similar position...most find frosting off putting but some much prefer as shows no warming etc....we are now thinking of keeping some in jars and having some warmed and runny

if you want to warm a frosted jar however, should you remove/loosen lid or can you do this with lid on?
Lid on in water bath is my preferred way

Latest posts

Back