Propolis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
I've just perused a book about honey where the author states,"Many beekeepers simmply scrape it (propolis) off and take a little every day in alcohol."

Any takers?

Cazza

You supplying both? Or expecting us to bring the alcohol?

Or maybe you want someone to take the book off your hands?

RAB

You supplying both? Or expecting us to bring the alcohol?

Or maybe you want someone to take the book off your hands?

RAB

The book is going back to the library asap.
Just wondered if any one did this. Propolis tastes pretty rank and sticks to your teeth but in a whisky tincture would possibly be ok?
C

Taken in a snifter of whisky one would never be sure what was the most beneficial; the propolis, or the whisky?

James

There was a period of time when propolis was like Royal jelly the "thing" of the moment and people were using it for various reasons.

Oliver Field says in his book they were going mad scraping every bit they could get their hands on.

Fads come and go.

PH

I've tried this. Put half a teaspoon of propolis in a small bottle of whisky. After a few weeks it was quite stongly flavoured, but there still seemed to be the same amount of propolis in the bottom. I quite like it, but then I like Southern comfort, both a bit medicinal. Particularly good in a toddy. Interesting that the whisky is clear, just a little darker; but when you add water it goes cloudy.

I often eat fresh propolis, just rolled into a small enough pellet to swallow. Hilarious results if you forget to just swallow and start to chew though, impossible to remove, orange gack all over your teeth !

Good stuff. excellent to gargle for sore throats. Used as a base of various organic/biodynamic treatments in the garden/orchard.

:iagree:
Just because it looks like toffee, doesn't mean it tastes like toffee...

There was a period of time when propolis was like Royal jelly the "thing" of the moment and people were using it for various reasons.

Oliver Field says in his book they were going mad scraping every bit they could get their hands on.

Fads come and go.

PH

Not a fad, PH. Commonplace, as is pollen on the continent.

Resurrected threads! Hurrah.
I've tried this. Put half a teaspoon of propolis in a small bottle of whisky. After a few weeks it was quite stongly flavoured, but there still seemed to be the same amount of propolis in the bottom. I quite like it, but then I like Southern comfort, both a bit medicinal. Particularly good in a toddy. Interesting that the whisky is clear, just a little darker; but when you add water it goes cloudy.

At a guess this would be similar to the way Absinthe and Pernod go cloudy. There are oils in there (giving the flavour) which will be soluble in the alcohol at full whisky strength, but will precipitate when the alcohol is diluted. You see a similar effect around the edge of an ice cube in whisky, or even more in Bayley's(sp?).

Resurrected threads! Hurrah.

At a guess this would be similar to the way Absinthe and Pernod go cloudy. There are oils in there (giving the flavour) which will be soluble in the alcohol at full whisky strength, but will precipitate when the alcohol is diluted. You see a similar effect around the edge of an ice cube in whisky, or even more in Bayley's(sp?).

Maybe they're putting it in good whisky that goes cloudy?

I've made Tinture of Propolis and sold some.

I find it helps when I get those small cuts that won't heal because they are in a skin crease (like under my knuckles) - a drop seems to help it heal far quicker. It may be the alcohol - but I like to think it is my bees helping!

Jc

It was a fad at the time: there were silly prices paid for it and if I recall what O. Field said it was actually worth more to his operation than the honey crop one year.

I know that people take it on a continuous basis, but for a while it was "the" thing of the moment and I said also it was the same as royal jelly which also went through a phase. Some still swear by it most have forgotten it.

PH

Unfortunately propolis doesn't dissolve well in commercially available alcoholic beverages.

It does dissolve effectively in surgical spirit, but given that is adulterated with oil of wintergreen to stop imbibing, then the option is to find a supplier of neat alcohol, at around £60 for either a litre or half a litre (I don't remember which).

If it could be used to disolve the propolis, filtered to remove impurities and then evaporated off to leave a semi solid residue. An expensive process. Commercially I would imagine that the evaporation process would be closed in order to recycle the alcohol.

How practical that would be likely to be is questionable.

Propolis is a very powerful natural antibiotic - Speaking from experience, a few drops of Propolis Tincture (Local Health food store) on mouth ulcers and sore throats will have a very beneficial effect within hours. To make your own, 'normal' 40/50% proof Vodka will not dissolve it completely; Apparently, best to obtain Ethanol (if you can get it).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back