Propolis toddy?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've just read in the new BBKA news a mention of dissolving propolis in brandy if you have a cold. As I'm just starting one I thought I'd try it. Found my little pot of propolis and started stirring- and stirring- and eventually enough dissolved that I could taste it, but most was still on the back of the teaspoon.

Anyone know how it's supposed to work? I actually quite liked the taste, but no idea if it does any good.

lick the spoon after you drink the brandy easy

Not sure how you disolve it but propolis does work, excellent for sore throats etc.

One of our old boys swears by chewing a small amount of propolis for sore throats. I've tried it and it does get stuck to your teeth!

I've made a propolis tincture by dissolving propolis in vodka. It takes a couple of weeks to get enough to dissolve. I don't know if the propolis or the vodka is the active ingredient!

you folk need this [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-Propolis-Natural-Healing-Remedies/dp/0285635220/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291733533&sr=1-1[/ame] to bee added to the x-mas booklist!!

One of our old boys swears by chewing a small amount of propolis for sore throats. I've tried it and it does get stuck to your teeth!

I've made a propolis tincture by dissolving propolis in vodka. It takes a couple of weeks to get enough to dissolve. I don't know if the propolis or the vodka is the active ingredient!

Tried the chewing- didn't like it. Guess I need to plan ahead more with the dissolving.

Waste of a good brandy but it might help vodka which is otherwise only useful in thermometers or for putting in windscreen washer bottles - which I did once when I lived in Germany and could get it duty free for a song.

Latest posts

Back