Propolis Tincture?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mart_got_hives

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Anyone got a recipe for Propolis Tincture using Propylene Glycol as the solvent? Or any other propolis recipes come to that?

I don't have anything using Propylene Glycol, but I found this somewhere some time ago:
--------------------
Take the desired quantity of propolis and soak in water for 3-7 days to clean and soften it. Soak the propolis in ethyl alcohol minimum 70% proof, shaking it every day.  (VODKA).
Do NOT use contaminated or denatured alcohol which will be poisonous.  50 gms of absolute alcohol with 100mls of water will give a 50% solution. To get maximum extraction of the active ingredients will take 1-3 weeks. Then filter through a fine filter such as a coffee filter. The medicinal part is the filtered liquid. This should be kept in a dark glass bottle in a cool place.   Since alcohol is a good preservative the tincture will last for a very long time.
---------------------

Hope this helps :)

I don't have anything using Propylene Glycol, but I found this somewhere some time ago:
--------------------
.  50 gms of absolute alcohol with 100mls of water will give a 50% solution. To get maximum extraction of the ..... :)

Where do you get absolute alcohol (ethanol)? It's sale is restricted by HMRC. I can't even buy it for work and I work for the Government!

I'm afraid I don't know, EB, I only found the recipe, I didn't invent it - I would use Vodka :)

Yes I've read the page linked to in the March thread, the page linked to in it is very useful. Most of the recipes I've seen call for 70% ethyl alcohol. I may experiment with a little with vodka :)

Don't forget to leave some for the propolis tincture, lol

How is it applied/ used? Couple of drops on the tongue?

I believe that the 79% ABV Polish Vodka is available online, but it's been a while since I looked. Thanks Serf.

USA 80 proof
UK and EU 40% ABV
UK historically used the Sikes scale % proof which equates to 7/4 the % ABV figure which would make 40% ABV equal to 70% proof.

That said, I have 63% ABV overproof rum by Wray & Nephew, Jamaica, Available in 70cl bottles from Asda c £24, Tesco c £25 and Sainsbury's SavaCentre c £26.

Not cheap, but better than 40% ABV which supposedly does the job over a period of time.

63% ABV does the job in a couple of days and evaporates well in the open air, if that's what is wanted.

Other than mild interest or for personal use, it's not going to be financially viable unless the alcohol tied up in any residue can be distilled off and recovered/recycled, but watch out for breakdown products such as methanol (I'm not a scientist).

The alcohol softens but does not dissolve wax, so from a mixed bag of propolis with a high wax content the propolis can be recovered. I have yet to look at melting the wax residue to reclaim the wax, but again just for personal satisfaction and understanding the possibilities and limitations. I already realise the impracticalities and so would throw it in with other general wax for processing.

In the US Everclear is a neat ethanol product that is available for making cocktails.

Us budding enthusiasts will probably have to be satisfied with what can be found in the supermarket.

Oh didn't think of polish spirit. Shall give that Polmos vodka a look cheers.

To use the propolis you just pop a few drops in a glass of water and drink or gargle it and put it on cuts, grazes and bee stings.

Actually I've got some Propylene Glycol (BP) I might use instead but as it struggles with concentrations over 10% propolis tincture I'll have to heat it to concentrate it a bit. It's certainly cheaper than the alcohol tho.

Latest posts

Back