Progress on newly hived swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andynorton

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm aware that I'm perhaps being a little paranoid as I'm a new beekeeper and this is my first swarm. But after hiving my new nuc today, I decided to give the swarm in my 1st hive a quick inspection.
The swarm was hived 10 days ago. They have drawn out 4 frames, and seem to have been quite busy on the nice days this week, and were bringing in pollen. I gave them a couple of litres of 1:1 syrup, which they have consumed.
All frames in the hive were fresh foundation 10 days ago.
It was only a brief inspection today due to the poor weather.
I noticed that there was a reasonable amount of capped stores around the edge of two or three of the frames, and some uncapped. I didn't see any eggs or larva though, and didn't see the queen.
I would have thought the queen would have started laying by now. Its possible I may have missed the eggs I guess, due to my inexperience, and the fact I was trying to be quick!
Is it normal for the queen to still not be laying after 10 days, or could I potentially have a problem? Or maybe I'm just panicking!
I guess I need to look again when the weather is better, but any advice you can give would be appreciated.
I guess if there is no queen, I can take a frame of eggs from the nuc.... ?
The bees seemed very docile today though.... would they be docile if they were queenless?

Hi Andy

It is quite possible that your swarm was a cast. Giver her another week and I'll bet that you will see eggs and maybe larvae then.

G.

Would they be docile? No.

I agree with Gavin, you most likely have a cast so give them a couple of weeks and all should be good.

Oh yes and please feed them.

Enjoy them.

PH

I would offer to come take a look, but now you have inspected they would be best left until next weekend.

Bet you a Marsbar you will have eggs next weekend. ;)

Thanks for the reassurance! I hadn't considered the possibility of a cast. The guy that collected the swarm was convinced it was a prime swarm though.
I'll feed them and check them again next week - Not sure how far you are away from me Admin, but If mars bars are a currency for help, I'm happy to buy you a king sized one if there are no eggs there!
:)

I know a story about admin and king sized mars bars !!

Does it have anything to do with my sleep eating problem ?
I do hope it does :eek:

My queen in the small swarm I hived 10 days ago has only just started laying- eggs no larvae so far.

That sounds about right Poly.

I have a couple of hives with new mated queens with eggs but no brood after around 10-11 days from hatching.

_40119598_mars_king_size203.jpg

Thanks Admin... This is for you!

I couldn't resist taking a quick look today. Only 5 days on from my last inspection, but "working from home" today :)
Spotted HM and there is a palm sized area of brood in all stages on two sides of a frame. :) They haven't drawn out any more frames yet (still 4), but I guess they will only do as much as they need to.
Seems to be plenty of capped stores and quite a bit of pollen, which seems to be stored fairly randomly......
The rapid feeder is full at the moment - should I let them finish this lot, and remove it? or carry on feeding for a while?
:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back