Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

andynorton 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I'm aware that I'm perhaps being a little paranoid as I'm a new beekeeper and this is my first swarm. But after hiving my new nuc today, I decided to give the swarm in my 1st hive a quick inspection.
The swarm was hived 10 days ago. They have drawn out 4 frames, and seem to have been quite busy on the nice days this week, and were bringing in pollen. I gave them a couple of litres of 1:1 syrup, which they have consumed.
All frames in the hive were fresh foundation 10 days ago.
It was only a brief inspection today due to the poor weather.
I noticed that there was a reasonable amount of capped stores around the edge of two or three of the frames, and some uncapped. I didn't see any eggs or larva though, and didn't see the queen.
I would have thought the queen would have started laying by now. Its possible I may have missed the eggs I guess, due to my inexperience, and the fact I was trying to be quick!
Is it normal for the queen to still not be laying after 10 days, or could I potentially have a problem? Or maybe I'm just panicking!
I guess I need to look again when the weather is better, but any advice you can give would be appreciated.
I guess if there is no queen, I can take a frame of eggs from the nuc.... ?
The bees seemed very docile today though.... would they be docile if they were queenless?

gavin 

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
about 70 and rising
Hi Andy

It is quite possible that your swarm was a cast. Giver her another week and I'll bet that you will see eggs and maybe larvae then.

G.

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Would they be docile? No.

I agree with Gavin, you most likely have a cast so give them a couple of weeks and all should be good.

Oh yes and please feed them.

Enjoy them.

PH

admin 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I would offer to come take a look, but now you have inspected they would be best left until next weekend.

Bet you a Marsbar you will have eggs next weekend. ;)

andynorton 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Thanks for the reassurance! I hadn't considered the possibility of a cast. The guy that collected the swarm was convinced it was a prime swarm though.
I'll feed them and check them again next week - Not sure how far you are away from me Admin, but If mars bars are a currency for help, I'm happy to buy you a king sized one if there are no eggs there!
:)

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
I know a story about admin and king sized mars bars !!

admin 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Does it have anything to do with my sleep eating problem ?
I do hope it does :eek:

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My queen in the small swarm I hived 10 days ago has only just started laying- eggs no larvae so far.

admin 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
That sounds about right Poly.

I have a couple of hives with new mated queens with eggs but no brood after around 10-11 days from hatching.

andynorton 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives

Thanks Admin... This is for you!

I couldn't resist taking a quick look today. Only 5 days on from my last inspection, but "working from home" today :)
Spotted HM and there is a palm sized area of brood in all stages on two sides of a frame. :) They haven't drawn out any more frames yet (still 4), but I guess they will only do as much as they need to.
Seems to be plenty of capped stores and quite a bit of pollen, which seems to be stored fairly randomly......
The rapid feeder is full at the moment - should I let them finish this lot, and remove it? or carry on feeding for a while?
:cheers2:

Latest posts