problem with wire worms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi everyone has anyone got any ideas get rid of wire worms a friend of mine has a big problem with them many thanks Vince

I understand they don’t like well cultivated soil and can be a problem for the first few years on new ground.

I have a slight problem with them but then I am always late digging up my potatoes.

An old trick was to push slices of of good hard carrot into the ground .
Theory being ,wire worms eat their way through and become stuck as they expand . check regularly ,kill wire worms and replace carrot slices for another kill:)
VM

Wire worms like grass roots.
Grass renews itself easily so the plants grow tolerating the worms.
Problems arise when you plants crops in newly dug lawns, so to speak.
The worms have no grass roots to feed on so will eat anything that's there.
You'll get away with it on the first year but by the second they'll chomp through quite a few spuds.
They don't thrive on potatoes particularly so by year four the problem will be gone........if that's any comfort.

as erichalfbee says they thrive in grass so when you cultivate your grassed area you cant plant root crops for upto five years after in the bed only raised crops such as peas beans etc very hard to get rid of them so just keep the bed turned over to stop any grass type stuff growing

Thanks guys all the info has been passed on cheers Vince :D

do a Google search for wireworm nematode - there is various treatments out there

Latest posts

Back